Eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
FL
Erin I LOVE those pictures!! Your little ones have gorgeous eyes (aww baby eyes :D) and I def laughed when I saw your dog's eyes :D

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Beautiful eyes your family has Erin. It looks like all your kids got the blue eyes. Are the odd of that slim?

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Angi said:
Beautiful eyes your family has Erin. It looks like all your kids got the blue eyes. Are the odd of that slim?

Thanks. My kids all have my husbands blue eyes. I really do not know much about genetics.

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
Well I believe blue eyes are recessive genes so in that case it is unlikely to get blue eyes. In my family My dad has brown eyes and my mom has blue eyes. My brother and sister both have brown eyes and I am the only child with blue eyes. My sister was born with blue eyes but they change to brown so the color of the eye can change with time. All in all it is more likely to get brown eyes then blue.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Marty333 said:
Well I believe blue eyes are recessive genes so in that case it is unlikely to get blue eyes. In my family My dad has brown eyes and my mom has blue eyes. My brother and sister both have brown eyes and I am the only child with blue eyes. My sister was born with blue eyes but they change to brown so the color of the eye can change with time. All in all it is more likely to get brown eyes then blue.

Right, but in our case both of the choices are recessive genes as I have green eyes and he has blue eyes. Blue must have been the dominant gene. All I know is that if I had a brown eyed baby I'd be in big trouble:).

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Southern CA
Well in this case the blue eyes are Dominant based on the fact that you have green eyes.

Brown dominant over blue, blue dominant over green.

It also has to do with the color of both yours and your husbands parents' eye colors :)

Xilonen

5 Year Member
Bellingham, WA
[science geek] About the eye color thing - the simplistic version is that brown is dominant over not-brown. Not-brown can manifest as blue, green, yellow, hazel, gold, grey, etc. Thus, non-brown-eyed people have non-brown-eyed kids. So it was incredibly likely for the children here to have blue eyes, since both parents carry a recessive trait. Eye color isn't inherited by simple Mendelian genetics, so it's not really as simple as pure dominance, co-dominance or incomplete dominance because the expressed color is influenced by multiple genes and phenotype (the displayed trait) can still vary from the genotype (genetic 'template'), but since it's relatively consistent we can kind of think of it that way. At any rate, if both parents have any color but brown eyes it's extremely unlikely that their children will have brown eyes (unless of course, the milk man is involved!). :) [/science geek]

Speaking of blue eyes:
Eye%202.gif

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
CtTortoiseMom said:
Our family's eyes:

So I'm scrolling down through all the family, yeah, there's the dad, maybe the mom, there's a kid, oh how cute, a baby then BOOM! dog eyes!!! Then BOOM, BOOM!!! tortoise eyes!! I laughed so hard I had to go visit the sand box.!!!!

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
emysemys said:
CtTortoiseMom said:
Our family's eyes:

So I'm scrolling down through all the family, yeah, there's the dad, maybe the mom, there's a kid, oh how cute, a baby then BOOM! dog eyes!!! Then BOOM, BOOM!!! tortoise eyes!! I laughed so hard I had to go visit the sand box.!!!!

I'm glad it made you laugh :).

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Xilonen said:
[science geek] About the eye color thing - the simplistic version is that brown is dominant over not-brown. Not-brown can manifest as blue, green, yellow, hazel, gold, grey, etc. Thus, non-brown-eyed people have non-brown-eyed kids. So it was incredibly likely for the children here to have blue eyes, since both parents carry a recessive trait. Eye color isn't inherited by simple Mendelian genetics, so it's not really as simple as pure dominance, co-dominance or incomplete dominance because the expressed color is influenced by multiple genes and phenotype (the displayed trait) can still vary from the genotype (genetic 'template'), but since it's relatively consistent we can kind of think of it that way. At any rate, if both parents have any color but brown eyes it's extremely unlikely that their children will have brown eyes (unless of course, the milk man is involved!). :) [/science geek]

Speaking of blue eyes:
Eye%202.gif
That is a really beautiful picture!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.