Eye Question

thecrawlingchaos

10 Year Member!
Hello again, all.

I was doing some spot cleaning in my Gpp's pen this afternoon. The tort always comes up to check me out when I work in the cage. When he got close and I got a good look, I noticed small tear-sized drops of discharge under his eyes. They were almost off-white in color.

Otherwise, the tortoise is behaving as normal. It eats a ton and is quite active. he sometimes breathes audibly, but it's always when I enter the room and generally stops once I'm in there for a minute of so. Pretty sure it's just him trying to scare me off, as it's certainly not something that happens the majority of the time.

The cage seems alright to me. The room it's in rarely if ever goes below 80 degrees, and the enclosure allows the tortoise to get into 90 degree spots if he chooses. I'm using coco coir as substrates, which I add water to as needed in order to control dust.

Is this discharge a red flag for a URI? If so, i'd like to get him to a vet before other signs arise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Sometimes foamy eyes mean they are too dry. I see this in the corner of Dudley's eyes frequently (sulcata).

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
He is most likely dehydrated, that or he just heard a really sad song. But I would def. lean towards dehydration.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
It can also mean they are too hot but most of the time it's a dehydrated thing. What are your temps and humidity levels?