Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It's getting harder and harder to find the Terramycin Opthalmic Ointment. I had the vet over a few days ago and even she is having trouble finding it. She told me about an alternative that she now uses - Vetericyn Opthalmic Gel. She says it works every bit as well as the other ointment. It costs a bit more, but you get more in the bottle. I bought one online, but haven't had a chance to use it yet. This link is merely to show you a picture of the product...not because you should buy from this vendor:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...=1440569087&catargetid=1570174801&cagpspn=pla

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks for the info. What all do you use this for, if you wouldn't mind filling us in on here:shy: Also, could one use the eye washes that are out for contact wearers? Like a plain eye wash saline?

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
I have it, I've never needed to use it on my tortoise but it helps with my herpes positive cats when they start having eye problems. I have also used it on my Dumerils boa when we had some issues with aspen bedding and him getting too dry, his eye caps got all cracked and crinkled, it moisturized him really well and along with a change of bedding materials, helped fix the problem. Oh and I have a couple senior dogs whose tear ducts don't work quite as well anymore, works great for them too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It would be a soother for those turtles and tortoises with swollen eyes.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
emysemys said:
It would be a soother for those turtles and tortoises with swollen eyes.

So, basically it's safe to use whenever there looks to be an eye irritant? As a try and if things don't get better or you can't figure out the cause, like substrate or something, then a vet visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.