Eye issue slightly puffy

Lucygoose100

Location (City and/or State)
Deforest WI
Hello Everyone,
I am hoping you can help with giving some suggestions about how to proceed with my guy Pokey's eyes. They have been slightly puffy for a short time now. I thought it was his lights, so I changed them (listed below). Then I thought he might be dehydrated so he has been getting soaks every other day for over a week. I will be going today and picking up eye drops, suggestions always welcome, to try and wash his eyes in case of an irritant. If this does not resolve issue I will need to take him to the vet.
He is eating and he is active as normal.

I know this is not a normal looking eye since my other Tort Piggy eyes are not the same.

Thank you for your suggestions and if anyone lives in Madison WI and has a suggestion for a vet please let me know.

Bedding- Plantation Earth and Forest Floor (only two weeks old and I mist down and mix each afternoon to reduce dust)

Lights: Basking light 75W for UVA /
Exo Terra® Repti Glo Desert Terrarium Bulb - UVB 150

Heat: Ceramic heater Warm side staying around 90 degrees F and cool side 75)
Thanks Kelly and Pokey

20190214_070357.jpg 20190214_070401.jpg 20190214_070357.jpg 20190214_070401.jpg

hollyandT

Hull
My Russian had this problem a few years ago and they ended up becoming permanently shut only one eye is able to open now and the vet told me it was conjunctivitis.

I know this isn’t much help but I’m interested in the responses from the experts on here as I hope there’s still a chance to save my tortoises closed eye as the vet said it may have scarred over :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your 150 watt light may be a bit strong. How far away from the tortoise's back is it hanging? I've never felt the need for anything stronger than a 100 watt. But recently have changed all my MVB over to the T5 fluorescent UVB bulbs. See if you can find this in the pet store - if not, its available online:

eye ointment b.jpg

The UVB bulb I use:

T-5 fluorescent bulb.jpg

Lucygoose100

Deforest WI
Your 150 watt light may be a bit strong. How far away from the tortoise's back is it hanging? I've never felt the need for anything stronger than a 100 watt. But recently have changed all my MVB over to the T5 fluorescent UVB bulbs. See if you can find this in the pet store - if not, its available online:

View attachment 264959

The UVB bulb I use:

View attachment 264960
It is about 12-15" from his back. I can replace it with a less intense bulb.