Experience w/Outcome of Softshell? First Sulcata

Kristie8888

I purchased a Sulcata today and its whole shell can be "squeezed" and his nose appears spongy.
I know how to care for him but I would like some insight on how long the improvements should take by people with experience in this because now that i have him at home i see how bad he really is. Also, will the back of his shell harden slightly caved in (that's what it looks like now) or will it round out a little? Owner said he is 2 years old and looks like he's had little to no light exposure. His shell is also a little thicker than a tough finger nail on a person. Isnt it supposed to be thick and rugged at 2 years old? Last question: is softshell the same thing as rot?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm afraid you've bought a very sick baby. At 2 he should be domed and not soft at all. Take it back and get your money back. If you keep it you're going to end up spending a lot of money at the vet, plus end up with a dead tortoise. It is dying right now.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, soft shell means no calcium in the bones and shell. Deadly.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have to agree with yvonne, sounds sick at 2 it's shell should be on it's way to being hard, pliable at the very least. It will be a very expensive problem, with a very low rate of success.

Kristie8888

Thanks for your replies. I thought it would just end up an ugly turtle not dead. We'll see how the seller responds.