Excessive skin shedding

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
One of my turtles is shedding a lot and the water has pieces of skin that floats around. They are also quite big, as big as the pad of my thumb. My other slider is fine. No skin hanging out.

Attached is a picture to show how bad it is, well to me at least because I've never seen it like this. Sorry if it's not very clear. I hope someone can tell me what is wrong. Thanks!

1421576203712.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
Thank you! That really helped, but I'm still not really sure what the cause is. Because this is only happening to this one, and the other is perfectly fine. Well the only conclusion I can come up with is that she is growing really fast. Because since 2 months ago I got them she grew 1.5" to 1.75", while the other remained at 1.5" and didn't grow at all. So I hope this is the reason. Thank you so much!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Poor water quality will cause this problem . Try changing the water more often .

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
I change the water once a week too. And I'm sure you guys can see the tiny bubbles at the side of the tank, which I have fixed it by changing the sponge and zeolite rocks in the filter. I hope that things will be back to normal after this. Thanks!