RES hungry all the time, RES not eating much

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
Hi. I have 2 RES and I got them for about 4-5months, and one has grown from 1.5" to almost 3" now. Her name is Ocean, and she is starving all the time! She gobbles up her food I give once daily, she eats up her own poop when she sees it and just tonight after feeding I put them back into their tank (I feed in separate bowl) I saw her biting at the filter! It was the suction part where bigger dirt gets stuck there. Her skin is also shedding for a very long time now, and it also gets stuck at the suction part, so I wonder if she's actually eating that? But anyway she's just always hungry all the time. (To adress the skin shedding: I change 1/2 water of my tank every alternate day, and full water change every week. But to no avail, her skin is still shedding but for a while it was better (controlled) when she was taking Baytril)

My other RES has grown from 1.5" to only 2", his name is Sky, and he has just recovered from pneumonia. He took shots of Baytril for a week. For quite some time now (even before the shots) he's been eating lesser, sometimes not even eating at all. Not to mention he is growing a little too slow. He also seems more tired nowadays. I wonder if this is also due to the side effects of Baytril? It has been roughly a month since the medication. Surely it's effects must have worn off?

Anyway, I would really like some advice as to what to do. Like, is due to the diet, because I am only feeding them pellets as they do not like veggies, Sky only eats pellets (tetra) and Ocean eats pellets and gammarus. The other day I tried feeding them banana and apple but the didn't eat it. I was thinking of trying strawberries?

Also I am thinking of bringing them to the vet again for a checkup and followup of Sky's pneumonia and Ocean's excessive skin shedding (she also got Baytril shots for a week, same time as Sky). Right now am currently busy, so shall see how it goes. Thank you in advance for your help it is very much appreciated. (Sorry for the long post I hope someone still has the patience to read it!)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RES turtles are very good, excellent, in fact, at teaching their keeper that the turtle is starving to death. They can just have finished chowing down a large meal, but when they see their keeper enter the area, they scramble at the sides frantic to let you know they're starving. So, what does the keeper do? Feed the turtle, of course. Great training going on here.

You might try gut loading some crickets with calcium-mineral supplement. Sounds like Ocean might need some mineral supplement.