Exact methods for feeding tort hay?

aztortoisegal

I know I was just bragging about him eating everything from the garden now, but it's going to be hot soon and some of his fave foods will not be growing in this heat. His cactus and grass will be around still, mabe that's enough?

So researching the Timothy hay, or the hay the sell at pet stores for bedding (same thing?), I see some people say to soak it, some to not soak it...what's the real deal?

Lightly mist it? Just chop into small manageable bites? Leave it as is from the package?

So many different suggestions. Help? I appreciate it!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It really depends upon how big and strong the tortoise is. I break a flake off the bale and toss it into the Aldabran yard, but for the leopards I have to hydrate a bit of it before I toss it to them. For babies I cut it all up with scissors and soak it in water then mix it into their greens.

It's better to buy hay from a feed company rather than in the packages from the pet store. That pet store stuff is so old that it's pretty hard to bite pieces off. What you get at the feed store is pretty fresh. If you find one that sells grass hay you can ask them if you can sweep up some of the 'crumbs' from around the hay stack and put into a plastic bag. Tell them you'll be happy to pay for it, but chances are they'll give it too you for free.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Great question! I have yet to feed my Sulcata hay but have been thinking about it for a while. Is feed story hay the right hay? I can walk in and buy a bale? How long with this stay fresh? I worry about mold and our Southeast Texas humidity. I think for a smaller tort the cutting up is a mighty fine idea!

aztortoisegal

It really depends upon how big and strong the tortoise is. I break a flake off the bale and toss it into the Aldabran yard, but for the leopards I have to hydrate a bit of it before I toss it to them. For babies I cut it all up with scissors and soak it in water then mix it into their greens.

It's better to buy hay from a feed company rather than in the packages from the pet store. That pet store stuff is so old that it's pretty hard to bite pieces off. What you get at the feed store is pretty fresh. If you find one that sells grass hay you can ask them if you can sweep up some of the 'crumbs' from around the hay stack and put into a plastic bag. Tell them you'll be happy to pay for it, but chances are they'll give it too you for free.

Yes, avoiding pet store stuff as much as possible, thanks for that reminder of sorts.

I have a question I bet you'll definitely have a correct answer for....chia seeds. You know, the kind that grow on chia pets? I gave him a pinch of the newly sprouted seedlings just now and he liked them but I thought I better check out it's safety before giving him anymore. Once again, googling has given me conflicting information. :/

aztortoisegal

Oh, and they weren't seeds from a Chia Pet kit, who knows what they might be treated with, they were from a seed package at the garden shop, next to the lettuce varieties.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Timothy hay is pretty stemmy and rough for smaller sulcatas. Orchard grass hay works much better.

I get them used to it by feeding them on a bed of it. I just spread some hay on the ground or a tray and then plop their food right on top of it. Sometimes I'll even sprinkle a little hay on top of the food. After a few weeks or months of this, they start eating the hay along with the other food.

aztortoisegal

Timothy hay is pretty stemmy and rough for smaller sulcatas. Orchard grass hay works much better.

I get them used to it by feeding them on a bed of it. I just spread some hay on the ground or a tray and then plop their food right on top of it. Sometimes I'll even sprinkle a little hay on top of the food. After a few weeks or months of this, they start eating the hay along with the other food.

Thanks Tom, I'll make sure whatever I get is easy enough for his little mouth to chew up.

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
I don't know if I am doing the right thing ... but I have been putting handfuls of hay in the water dish then spreading it out a bit, topping it with a bits of bok choy, grass, lettuce and other tort yummies. 5 or 6 layers of this repeated makes good salad for the big ole sulcatta. He needs better hydration and seems to like the wet hay and everything A LOT. Using orchard hay.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know if I am doing the right thing ... but I have been putting handfuls of hay in the water dish then spreading it out a bit, topping it with a bits of bok choy, grass, lettuce and other tort yummies. 5 or 6 layers of this repeated makes good salad for the big ole sulcatta. He needs better hydration and seems to like the wet hay and everything A LOT. Using orchard hay.

Sounds great as long as he eats it all in one day. Wet hay will mold pretty quickly if left overnight or for days at a a time.