EVERYONE MUST LOOK!

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
Hello guys, I am going on a road trip through Louisiana this week and have found something pretty amazing on craigslist; tortoises!!! They are extremely well-priced. This person has Aldabras, Russians, Egyptians, sulcatas, redfoots, and leopards. I have asked about prices on aldabras only so far and received this,
Hatch-lings.........$70
Yearlings...........$235
Sub adult.........$535
Adults..........$1000
I am asking about other prices soon also and will post those as soon as I get them. Just wondering if anyone in the DFW area wanted me to pick some tortoises up for them? Or anywhere else I guess if you are comfortable/familiar with shipping. Thank you.
Only downside is they keep all the species together..

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Scam, SCAM, stay away, SCAM Someone who produces every rare and big species does not exist, plus the price, to low, and they prob want you to pay by western union, SCAM. In case I was not clear it is a SCAM, please stay away.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
If it seems too good to be true...

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
They won't show up. You will end up waiting a lot of your time waiting on the "seller".
Hmm.. Didn't think of that. But why would someone just waste someone's else's time for no reason? Seems like maybe if I was shipping they could easily scam me, but what would they benefit from wasting my time?

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
Just got an email... They only ship as the are "located in Thailand" hmm... Should've seen it coming I guess

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Hmm.. Didn't think of that. But why would someone just waste someone's else's time for no reason? Seems like maybe if I was shipping they could easily scam me, but what would they benefit from wasting my time?
That's just what they do. They post things like this all over craigslist and any classified they can get into. People fall for it all the time. Even on legit sites I don't buy animals super cheap, because 9 times our of 10 they are being off loaded(sick) or stolen, or something. Scammers are terrible people.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It is a scam. They have done that since I have been on this forum. If you can actually show up, they won't be there, but they are not gong to tell you not too come, then they would have to admit they are a scam. So sorry you fell for it. If they have too any species and their prices are too cheap, you can bet they are a scam.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
It's craig list full of trolls who like to waste time, they will prob ask first for you to send by western union, then they will agree to meet, coming uup with an excuse every time, entertain this person at your own risk. Remember no one produces every large and rare species out there, esp. at those prices.

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
I have been thinking of the possibility that it could be a scam all along. But assumed that I would just meet in person. I'm going to mess with them a little bit.

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
These emails are in order....

Me:
How much for an Aldabra tortoise? I don't care what size, just love the species! Thank you

Scammer:
Hello Lucas,

Thanks for the interest in our tortoises.

We have a wide range of species like sulcata, leopard, red-foot, egyptian, russian and aldabra tortoises. We have both males and females available. Our tortoises are on Mazuri Tortoise Diet, natural grasses, dark, leafy greens, brightly colored flowers, veggies, and fruits. They all eat very well and are very fat and healthy. They also go along with each other including our 2 cats.

We ship with all paper work. Additional fee is required for shipping.

We sell our aldabras in the categories as below,

Hatch-lings.........$70

Yearlings...........$235

Sub adult.........$535

Adults..........$1000

How many would you like to have and from which category?

How soon do you want them ?.

Thanks and hope to read from you again.

Me:
I would like 2 mature female Russian tortoises if you have that depending on price. And at $70 each for a baby Aldabra, I am not sure how many I would want but I do want some. I would like to purchase these on the 13th.

Scammer:
Hello Sir,

Thanks for the fast response, much appreciated.We ship to Europe,Aussie and USA with all paper work. Additional fee is required for shipping as we are located in Chonburi, Thailand . We are very experienced breeders and we shall ship to US without any problem and we also guarantee that the tortoises will arrive your home alive, safe and healthy. Shipping will take 48 hours. Since you will be purchasing many, we shall give you as below,

Hatch-lings.........$70

Yearlings...........$200

Sub adult.........$390

Adults..........$730

I have also attached some photos for you to view since our page is still under construction. Shipping to US is $50 per tortoise.

How many do you want and are the hatch-ling, yearling etc ?.

How soon do you want me to send her over ?.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Me:
That's great! I am actually in chonburi, Thailand so I could pick them up and even come see your setup! Then I could choose the ones i wanted if that's OK? Even if I can't I would still love to see your enclosures! Would like to get ideas for mine. Thank you.

Will keep y'all updated

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
Scammer: OK, that will be great.

When would you be available?

Me:
Anytime is fine! Even today would work, would you let me come see your cages and tortoises? Or do you want to meet somewhere else?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Thailand? that's new, it is usually canneron. Trust me if cold buy aldabras at 70 a pop even with the 50 shipping, I would be buying them all day long. nice to seee they are feeding the imaginary tortoises a good diet.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I am confused. You talk to them like you are in Thailand, but you said in first post you are traveling through Louisiana.
They sound like the ones I played back and forth with. They too were going to let me pick them up. I had said I had a friend that would do it for me. They were all about it, until it came to giving me the address to pick them up at. The location/address was a empty piece of land, thank you google earth.
If you were really in Thailand, I would say go for it. If you are counting on them actually selling them to you and shipping them to you, well, do what you want, it's your money, but don't cry when you get nothing. We have warned you its a scam.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
BTW, if you go for it, I hope we are wrong and you do not get scammed. Good luck and keep us informed.

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
I am confused. You talk to them like you are in Thailand, but you said in first post you are traveling through Louisiana.
They sound like the ones I played back and forth with. They too were going to let me pick them up. I had said I had a friend that would do it for me. They were all about it, until it came to giving me the address to pick them up at. The location/address was a empty piece of land, thank you google earth.
If you were really in Thailand, I would say go for it. If you are counting on them actually selling them to you and shipping them to you, well, do what you want, it's your money, but don't cry when you get nothing. We have warned you its a scam.

It was on Louisiana craigslist.. Don't worry, I am not going for it just messing with them. Will continue to share our conversations, might just wait and share it all when they stop replying.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Well, they could be legit in thailand, selling black market type animals. You never know, but impossible to ship 48 hours, get through customs, with the paper work, all for 50 dollars in shipping, at least legally.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Are you emailing them directly or is it still going through Craigslist?