EVERYONE CAN GROW OPTUNIA CACTUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't have the ones that SulcataSquirt is talking about. However he gets the from
coastalsilkworms.com

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
Can u feed any type of cactus? I've been looking everywhere around here, but cannot find any labeled optunia (in Baltimore md) I am planning to order some from Costal as soon as I run to the bank... I really don't mind buying online, especially since the $ is going to a fellow member, but I would prefer to purchase it locally so I don't have to worry about shipping and waiting, u know? Same thing w/seed blends... I'm trying to get a jump on winter by growing weeds and such indoors... The closest seed blend to what I'm looking for is tlady's seed mix (or something like that) but it's in the uk and insanely expensive to ship to the us...

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
I would pm coastal on here and ask him what he has avaiable, the varigated cactus on his site is a bit pricey, but sometimes he runs really good deals on it, expecially if you buy other cactus from him too, I just know that i really enjoy not messing with the spines, pick off pad, give to tortoise, no work or pain. haha I just wanted to share what i have since people are always complaining about the spines, the plants i have growing are all organiclly grown and when ever i pick a pad it causes little buds to form that will turn in to pads the size of my hand it about 1-2 weeks.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
SulcataSquirt said:
I would pm coastal on here and ask him what he has avaiable, the varigated cactus on his site is a bit pricey, but sometimes he runs really good deals on it, expecially if you buy other cactus from him too, I just know that i really enjoy not messing with the spines, pick off pad, give to tortoise, no work or pain. haha I just wanted to share what i have since people are always complaining about the spines, the plants i have growing are all organiclly grown and when ever i pick a pad it causes little buds to form that will turn in to pads the size of my hand it about 1-2 weeks.

So, the pictures are of your cactus? Or just cactus off the Internet? Great variety if yours.

Atra42o said:
Can u feed any type of cactus? I've been looking everywhere around here, but cannot find any labeled optunia (in Baltimore md) I am planning to order some from Costal as soon as I run to the bank... I really don't mind buying online, especially since the $ is going to a fellow member, but I would prefer to purchase it locally so I don't have to worry about shipping and waiting, u know?

Any type of optunia is all I know of.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
I have a hard time finding cactus locally besides a few mexican grocery stores have them, but they are despined so if planted the new pads will have spines. Its all up to you, I happend to get my pads from coastal when he had some dort of deal running last year. As for planted the pads, use a good well drained soil, you can plant a whole cactus pad or cut it in a few pieces and let the cuts dry up for a week. This will turn 1 pad to how many ever pieces you cut it in too, just remember the smaller you cut it the smaller the base of your cactus will be so i like to keep mine whole when i plant them.

wellington- those are all my cactus started from single pads that i have picked up. Sometimes i will feed the ones with the spines but its just such a pain compared to just pull a pad off the other ones a feeding it. I know its not for everyone, but one little thing to make life easier, ill take it! haha

2u4tpo0.jpg

If you look at the smallest pot that is the plant that i cut the pad it too 3's The other 2 i had growin it squirts home but they have since been destroyed.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Atra42o said:
Can u feed any type of cactus? I've been looking everywhere around here, but cannot find any labeled optunia (in Baltimore md) I am planning to order some from Costal as soon as I run to the bank... I really don't mind buying online, especially since the $ is going to a fellow member, but I would prefer to purchase it locally so I don't have to worry about shipping and waiting, u know? Same thing w/seed blends... I'm trying to get a jump on winter by growing weeds and such indoors... The closest seed blend to what I'm looking for is tlady's seed mix (or something like that) but it's in the uk and insanely expensive to ship to the us...

I am a hour and half from BWI Airport I can give you all the rooted opuntia plants you want, if you can come and get it. several different types, some are still blooming.

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
Len said:
I am a hour and half from BWI Airport I can give you all the rooted opuntia plants you want, if you can come and get it. several different types, some are still blooming.

Really?!? Are u serious? Thank u so much!!! I'll pay for them... Where exactly are u located?

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
Laurie said:
He's serious! Len is very generous, he sent me a whole bunch of plants :)

Wow, that is really nice... I cant thank everyone enough... U guys always go above and beyond and I'm truly grateful to have u :)

Len B

10 Year Member!
Atra42o said:
Len said:

Really?!? Are u serious? Thank u so much!!! I'll pay for them... Where exactly are u located?

Yes, I'm serious, No charge, Head south on RT 3 which runs into RT 301, 2 miles after crossing the Nice Bridge take a left to Colonial Beach Va.

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
Len said:
Yes, I'm serious, No charge, Head south on RT 3 which runs into RT 301, 2 miles after crossing the Nice Bridge take a left to Colonial Beach Va.

Thank u so much, u are the best!!! Do u need anything? When would be the best time to come?

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Side note, I wouldn't claim that they are good "down to 20 below" as the OP said.... The root trunk can handle some pretty cold temps, but at about 25 degrees (above 0), we were having the thinner pads freeze off on the RivenRock variety (which tend to be thinner than ours).

OMG, I never thought I'd be in the position of saying Thank you to Tyler (exempting those inevitable images of cactus T.P.), butt I agree there are climates, like Colorado, that will fail to grow these very necessary cactus fruits. We still have to fly to Texas in the fall to pick them up from H.E.B. grocery stores. Tyler, do you know of a variety that grow in cold, high-altitude climates like Colorado? :tort:

Len B

10 Year Member!
Atra42o said:
Len said:

Thank u so much, u are the best!!! Do u need anything? When would be the best time to come?
PM sent

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I might not have the right cold hardy kind, I am not sure. I may have misunderstood the temp this person said. I could have sworn he said 20 below, however, I could be wrong. But I am not wrong on all the different optunia that can grow in the northern cold climates. Check out this and you will see all the cactus that is cold hardy :p http://coldhardycactus.com/Pages/Opuntia.htm. I believe there is even one for Colorado

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
If you are looking for a cold hardy prickly pear the one you want is Opuntia Humifusa. If fact they grow wild Chicagoland (though protected). I will post pictures of my starts in Iowa (180 miles west of Chitown) later. There is a spineless O. Humifusa for sale, you just have to specify that specie. Like all things if they can't tell you what they are selling and claims don't match reality go elsewhere. Check out USDA plant site I posted earlier and you will suitable plants for your area.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
wellington said:
I might not have the right cold hardy kind, I am not sure. I may have misunderstood the temp this person said. I could have sworn he said 20 below, however, I could be wrong. But I am not wrong on all the different optunia that can grow in the northern cold climates. Check out this and you will see all the cactus that is cold hardy :p http://coldhardycactus.com/Pages/Opuntia.htm. I believe there is even one for Colorado

Thanks, I will check. It would be nice to have a plant so I could give Taco fresh cactus fruit. Supposedly they are essential to the nutritional needs of Chaco tortoises (though in the past, she has shown only mild interest in them, being the world's pickiest eater, no matter how hard I try to tempt her with the "right" foods). :rolleyes:

Len B

10 Year Member!
Here is a pic of 6 of the different opuntia that grow here without any special care for winter temps which sometimes are in the low teens for short periods, the ground is pretty much moist to wet all winter but very seldom freezes very deep. Notice the 3 to the left have long spines and the 3 to the right don't, the 2 smaller bottom center are examples of humifusa, one with spines and one spineless.I have some more spineless that I am working with now to see how hardy they, so far so good, but last winter wasn't much of a test winter, the winter before was very cold but also very dry for this area. Maybe we will have a normal winter this year. I think everybody can grow opuntia cactus, you just need to find the right kind for your area.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
These are Opuntia Humifusa from eastern South Dakota (zone 4) growing in Bettendorf, Iowa (zone 5) for at least 30 years. These plants easily survive -20 degrees and even -40 degrees for short periods.

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 15

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Itort said:
These are Opuntia Humifusa from eastern South Dakota (zone 4) growing in Bettendorf, Iowa (zone 5) for at least 30 years. These plants easily survive -20 degrees and even -40 degrees for short periods.

Ha, I did hear it right, thank you.:)
:p:p:p to everyone else doubting me:D:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.