Everybody loves flowers!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Some shelled creatures enjoying some rose of Sharon. This time of year is my favorite. Of the 3 plants I have they yield about 40-60 flowers a day. Everybody loves them.

Fez the Moroccan goes nuts over them.
image.jpg
And the hermanns too
image.jpg
It's always funny with the babies wasting something twice there size.
image.jpg
The one plant in the California deserts I'm surprised is still standing, they go nuts over them just staring up at the tree waiting for there flower.
image.jpg

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
So THAT'S Rose of Sharon?
I was curious what it was. It is a type of Hibiscus or another whole species?
Yep that's it. It's a southeast Asian variety of hibiscus. Also native to North America now as well. Very cold hardy and fantastic. Leaves and flowers are a favorite.

Jenny & Tort

Pittsburgh PA
I did not realize Rose of Sharon was good for tortoises! I have a ton of that growing in my yard! Are the leaves and flowers ok for Sulcata's?

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Yep that's it. It's a southeast Asian variety of hibiscus. Also native to North America now as well. Very cold hardy and fantastic. Leaves and flowers are a favorite.

I really need to get one (or five!) of these! Where did you find it, Kelly?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I really need to get one (or five!) of these! Where did you find it, Kelly?
Rose of Sharon? Usually you can find them at tractor supply. Ooooooor eburgess.com has them for really cheap, the really pretty ones I got from them. I got a few from a local nursery here. Huge plant for butterflies too. I've seen at least 2000 bees in the last week pollinating from them, and numerous swallowtails, Mexican fritillaries, few monarchs(which is weird there typically not in season this time this far north) lots of sulfur butterflies too. The hummingbirds have gone nuts for the burgess catalog species. Not too certain which one it is. But they are very pretty and have lots of pollen. Those I usually pick mid day when the bees, butterflies, birds are finished taking the pollen from. Gotta let nature do it's thing before the torts get fed ;-)

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Oh cool! I should really start gardening... :D
Thanks for sharing. After doing a bit of research its too hot for Rose of Sharon here...

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Oh cool! I should really start gardening... :D
Thanks for sharing. After doing a bit of research its too hot for Rose of Sharon here...
Nah not at all. They prefer dry climates actually. They may take some extra watering and babying when first planted to get established. But ounce rooted and they have one season of winter and spring rooted they need absolutely nothing, I never water these plants ever.

THBfriend

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
dFn2I9V.jpg

NqyzY7G.jpg

BhLYje3.jpg

Just happened to shoot these photos.
Three young Eastern Hermann's tortoises (1, 2, and 5 years old) eating red and yellow flowers of Campsis radicans (trumpet vine).
You'll find conflicting information on whether those flowers are suitable tortoise food or not, but in my experience they are. My tortoises love them, and have been eating them for over a decade. Not daily, of course, only as occasional treats during summer.
Do not confuse Campsis with other trumpet-shaped flowers like the angel's trumpet (Brugmansia), because those can really be poisonous!