Even better :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HerrL1116

5 Year Member
So here it is all i need is the substrate and its all ok, i have new zealand sphagnum moss for his huminity hide

CIMG2574.JPG

haha as you can see i tried a plate but failed so i have the top of a container top and his food dish with sprinkled Calcium with no D3

Last edited by a moderator:

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
so you are getting rid of the sand?
I would also not feed iceberg lettuce...
use less calcium sprinkled on the food and use a Spring Mix salad mix. its a good variety of dark greens.
better nutrition. You can cut up the grass and sprinkle that in with the lettuce..

HerrL1116

5 Year Member
yeah i read an article and im getting sphagnum peat moss for him.

And its crushed walnut shells

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He'll be much happier with a better substrate. Glad to hear you are changing it. I wouldn't use that clamp to attach your heating elements to the tub. Those clamps always fail. Your bulbs will be much more effective if they point straight down too.

HerrL1116

5 Year Member
well its just that it hits up to 100* so i just want it as a basking spot and nothing else but when i put a UVB then i aim it towards the middle any suggestions?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hang your fixture from above the enclosure with the MVB in it. Keep it over to one side or the other and shine it down onto a piece of slate or flagstone. Let it run for an hour or so and check the temp with a temp gun and a remote probe thermometer. If its hotter than 100, raise your fixture an inch or two. If its cooler than 100 lower it a little. Wait an hour, check again and repeat. Put your bulb on a timer so it turns on and off the same time every day and run it for 12-13 hours. Then watch your tortoise's behavior. If he avoids ever going near the light, it might be too hot. Raise it and watch. If he sits under the lamp all day long, it might be too cool. Lower your bulb and watch. Fine tune as needed and seasonally too. I raise my bulbs up a bit in the summer and drop them down a bit in the winter. Use your thermometers. If you need more day heat or night heat you can hang a CHE over the middle and put it on a thermostat. This will maintain the temperature that you set it at. I like to keep babies around 80 all the time, with a 100 degree basking spot for 12 hours a day.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi HerrL1116:

I don't believe you've ever told us your name or where you are?

Please don't use that coil bulb that I see laying on the table next to the habitat. They can cause eye damage in small tortoises.

Also, crushed walnut shells are an impaction problem. They usually use black walnut shells and black walnut shells, besides causing impaction, are toxic.

Your habitat is a good size for your baby.

For the light, if you can't put a hook in the ceiling and hang it from a chain, maybe you can jury rig some sort of stand out of pieces of PVC or wood that goes over the habitat that the light can hang from. I used old wood and made this stand:

orchidbark-2.jpg

HerrL1116

5 Year Member
yeah i used to use a flood light but i stopped ussing it now im just using a uvb at the moment and my name is Louie Herrera and i live in los angeles, california so at these times it is getting colder. also i will be using peat moss for his substrate. also i will be trying your idea out.ill take another picture when i get home and the bulb im using now.

-Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.