Essential Oils

Tyanna

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Would diffusing essential oils be bad for a tortoises health? I've heard mixed opinions and want to hear more opinions, here.

I mostly like to diffuse Lavender oils as it helps many different things.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I keep baby tortoises in the house. I also use the fixtures that have a light bulb in the bottom and a dish for wax above the light. The wax melts and sends a wonderful aroma throughout the house. It hasn't caused my babies any trouble.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Well Bee's wax isn't bad but the News did a story about store bought wax and all the bad chemicals in it ! But my wife still burns it !

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
I love the lavender oils I keep some in a dish on a cotton ball it keeps my dogs mellow :)

Mommabear

Ventura Co. CA
Thanks for asking this question Tyanna. I had never even thought to ask this since the oils are used in candles, room fresheners, etc. I run an ultrasonic diffuser all the time with peppermint oil or lavender.

I know eucalyptus oil and lavender are safe in a diffuser around babies. Vicks is run in humidifiers for them all the time. I would think the humidity from diffusers would help? What do I know though. My diffuser is one room away from our tort. Does anyone know?

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Thanks for asking this question Tyanna. I had never even thought to ask this since the oils are used in candles, room fresheners, etc. I run an ultrasonic diffuser all the time with peppermint oil or lavender.

I know eucalyptus oil and lavender are safe in a diffuser around babies. Vicks is run in humidifiers for them all the time. I would think the humidity from diffusers would help? What do I know though. My diffuser is one room away from our tort. Does anyone know?

I think diffuser would help overall room humidity, which could initially help the humidity inside of the enclosure, depending on how "open" your enclosure is in, and how big the humidifier is.

I have a tiny Young Living one in our room, and since our house is the "lower" part of a duplex (basement), we really love running humidifiers and diffusing oils along with it. I struggle with severe anxiety so lavender oil is a must for me. :)

Many people use humidifiers and connect a hose to direct the humidifier into the enclosure, to help humidity!

Delilah1623

I think diffuser would help overall room humidity, which could initially help the humidity inside of the enclosure, depending on how "open" your enclosure is in, and how big the humidifier is.

I have a tiny Young Living one in our room, and since our house is the "lower" part of a duplex (basement), we really love running humidifiers and diffusing oils along with it. I struggle with severe anxiety so lavender oil is a must for me. :)

Many people use humidifiers and connect a hose to direct the humidifier into the enclosure, to help humidity!

Have you tried roman chamomile? I prefer it for anxiety over the lavender oil.

Delilah1623

Young Living has it but it's kind of pricey. I bought mine from eBay for around $8 I think.