• image-2630956926.png
    image-2630956926.png
    869.9 KB · Views: 51
  • image-3503230588.png
    image-3503230588.png
    841.9 KB · Views: 50

Steeeew

5 Year Member
Is that Calcium sprinkled on the food? If it is I don't think I use nearly enough.

karleyreed

5 Year Member
Calcium neutrobol and a vitamin D powder lol. Maybe I jst use too much?

testtudude

5 Year Member
Lol!! I love it when they munch down. Torts eating is just about the cutest thing ever :)

Attachments

• image-461281560.png
    image-461281560.png
    1 MB · Views: 41

karleyreed

5 Year Member
That's the cutest!!! I can't seem to get a good pik of mine with his mouth open. He's just too quick! Little fatty ha.

testtudude

5 Year Member
That's Tessi my female Russian, she is a pig and will do anything for a little pepper. You have one super cute little meatball yourself. I read some of your other posts and u sound just like me lol. I am new to tort ownership and I worry about my torts all the time. I am learning that they do what they want when they want to, so unless they look sick, they are probably just fine:)

Attachments

• image-2640363395.png
    image-2640363395.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 45

karleyreed

5 Year Member
She is very cute!!! How many do you have?? I'm such a worrier!! I'm hopeless haha. I feel like a mother to a new baby! I actually cried the night after I got him as I was worried incase I wasn't doing the right things for him haha. He seems generally happy, he eats like a pig, poops once or twice every other day, and drinks and wees everyday. He has plenty space to run around as his enclosure is 4x2 so a lot of room for him to explore!! I'm just in love with him and want him to have the best care possible!

Q'sTortie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tampa, Florida
Cute tort!! I know how you feel about being a worried mom. But let me tell you, once you see those new growths you will feel so proud and amazingly happy!! :D

testtudude

5 Year Member
karleyreed said:
She is very cute!!! How many do you have?? I'm such a worrier!! I'm hopeless haha. I feel like a mother to a new baby! I actually cried the night after I got him as I was worried incase I wasn't doing the right things for him haha. He seems generally happy, he eats like a pig, poops once or twice every other day, and drinks and wees everyday. He has plenty space to run around as his enclosure is 4x2 so a lot of room for him to explore!! I'm just in love with him and want him to have the best care possible!

I only have two Russian torts, for now ;-). I have lots of ambition though. Your little guy sounds like a lucky little tort with such a caring mother, I'm sure he will be very happy. We can keep each other posted, maybe that will help keep us from worrying way to much :)

karleyreed

5 Year Member
That sounds like a fab idea!! I'm new to all of this so worry quite a bit!! I love torts though! Can I ask what kind of enclosure you keep yours in? And how do you maintain humidity for them? Also, do you turn the heat emmiter off on a night??

testtudude

5 Year Member
karleyreed said:
That sounds like a fab idea!! I'm new to all of this so worry quite a bit!! I love torts though! Can I ask what kind of enclosure you keep yours in? And how do you maintain humidity for them? Also, do you turn the heat emmiter off on a night??

I just finished moving them to their new table last week. It has an open top so I maintain humidity by keeping the coco choir substrate moist with a mister bottle. Russians prefer to b cool at night so I do not have any night time heat. It drops to about 65-70F. Look at my previous posts. I have lots of pics of the new tat :)

karleyreed

5 Year Member
Ohh I see. Mine is kept in a vivarium, solid wood with a glass front, he can't see out tho the glass starts pretty high up. I've read good and bad things about vivs but I suppose everyone has a preference and opinion. I live in the north east of England where it's really cold during winter, and my house generally gets cold on a night so I turn his emitter down to around 15degrees C but always keep it on for him. I've only had him a week So I think he's still getting used to his new crib lol. I'm using tortoise life as a subtrate ATM but have been told about choir, could I get some of that and just put it in an area in his viv to keep moist? Is it best to have the warmer side humid??

testtudude

5 Year Member
karleyreed said:
Ohh I see. Mine is kept in a vivarium, solid wood with a glass front, he can't see out tho the glass starts pretty high up. I've read good and bad things about vivs but I suppose everyone has a preference and opinion. I live in the north east of England where it's really cold during winter, and my house generally gets cold on a night so I turn his emitter down to around 15degrees C but always keep it on for him. I've only had him a week So I think he's still getting used to his new crib lol. I'm using tortoise life as a subtrate ATM but have been told about choir, could I get some of that and just put it in an area in his viv to keep moist? Is it best to have the warmer side humid??

I'm sure that would b ok to make an area of choir, mine love to dig in it. It gets pretty cold here in North East US also but my torts are about 6 years old so they don't need as much heat and humidity. Didn't get to see my little ladies as babies :-( but that's ok they are still cute. I like the vivs, but the table works better for my living room. It's like having them hanging out with me in the room :) lol. I think if I had a baby I would get a viv though.

Here is a few pics of my new table. I made it out of reclaimed barn wood.

Attachments

• image-1603115246.png
    image-1603115246.png
    208.2 KB · Views: 23
  • image-2060439671.png
    image-2060439671.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
  • image-4055638475.png
    image-4055638475.png
    258.7 KB · Views: 15

karleyreed

5 Year Member
Wow that's fab!! Youve done a great job on that! I wish I was creative like that. I heard vivs were good for maintaining the heat which is Defo what I needed for this little fella!! This may be a silly question, but the basking temp is the temp directly under the beat emmiter isn't it?? I get worried that my heat emmiter never reaches the correct temp, eventho I turn it up to 32 degrees C on a day and around 15 on a night, letting it cool down but never it's never off.

There's a pik of the heat emitter and a few snaps of inside his viv. It's not pimped out yet as I'm still unsure as to what to put in it. And his size limits me as I'm unable to put things for him to climb over etc and he may flip. I like having a viv, it's kept in my bedroom and also makes a great tv stand!!

And your right! They are very cute!!! If I could manage two I would, but for now, worrying about one is enough! Lol.

Attachments

• image-2191901773.png
    image-2191901773.png
    211 KB · Views: 13
  • image-3008830766.png
    image-3008830766.png
    907.4 KB · Views: 16
  • image-3561232881.png
    image-3561232881.png
    181.6 KB · Views: 22

testtudude

5 Year Member
karleyreed said:
Wow that's fab!! Youve done a great job on that! I wish I was creative like that. I heard vivs were good for maintaining the heat which is Defo what I needed for this little fella!! This may be a silly question, but the basking temp is the temp directly under the beat emmiter isn't it?? I get worried that my heat emmiter never reaches the correct temp, eventho I turn it up to 32 degrees C on a day and around 15 on a night, letting it cool down but never it's never off.

There's a pik of the heat emitter and a few snaps of inside his viv. It's not pimped out yet as I'm still unsure as to what to put in it. And his size limits me as I'm unable to put things for him to climb over etc and he may flip. I like having a viv, it's kept in my bedroom and also makes a great tv stand!!

And your right! They are very cute!!! If I could manage two I would, but for now, worrying about one is enough! Lol.

Lovely little home for him!! You are correct, the basking temp is the hottest point in the habitat directly under the heat source. Mine is about 100F or like 37C. What are u using as a heat emmiter? I use a MVB for heat and extra UVB. I ask because if you leave it on at night it should be a variety that doesn't produce light. As not interrupt their day/night cycle.

karleyreed

5 Year Member
Thanks. It's not finished yet, going to wait until he gets a little bigger before I add too many things. He's happy just to wonder about ATM, and tbh, it takes him a while to cover the proximity of the viv anyway haha. The emmiter i used doesn't give off any light what so ever. I used a UV light for that which I keep on 12-15 hours a day. There's so many opinions of how to correctly look after a Tort, I didn't think it would be this optional lol.

testtudude

5 Year Member
karleyreed said:
Thanks. It's not finished yet, going to wait until he gets a little bigger before I add too many things. He's happy just to wonder about ATM, and tbh, it takes him a while to cover the proximity of the viv anyway haha. The emmiter i used doesn't give off any light what so ever. I used a UV light for that which I keep on 12-15 hours a day. There's so many opinions of how to correctly look after a Tort, I didn't think it would be this optional lol.

I agree! Lots and lots of opinions :) we have found the right place though. The info I get from here I have confidence in, not so much from books or other so called experts. I think our torts are in great hands, both ours and our forum friends. And I agree about keeping your tort from flipping himself. Mine will climb anything and I have watched them flip over multiple times, but they are adults and quick to right themselves. Though I still worry :)

Status
Not open for further replies.