Enclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.

vbrookee

5 Year Member
Trying to get ideas for my baby's enclosure! Post some pictures please!

vbrookee

5 Year Member
New enclosure!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortForum1375050216.401712.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1375050216.401712.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 170

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks nice, except it won't hold in the much needed humidity. The basking spot should be 95+. The enclosure should be 80 day and night and the humdity should be 80% to grow a nice smooth leopard.

vbrookee

5 Year Member
I live in southern Alabama. She has more than enough humidity! Also, do you know what plants I can put in there for her to nibble on?

J REED

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Enclosures

vbrookee said:
I live in southern Alabama. She has more than enough humidity! Also, do you know what plants I can put in there for her to nibble on?

Where in so Alabama do u live? I live in Fairhope East of Mobile...

Jeremy

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
vbrookee said:

Not sure about the plants, I'll let someone else speak to that, but a humid hide with 90 percent humidity would be nice. I'm sure you have humid days in Alabama, but what is the humidity range in your actual enclosure? Hot and humid where your little gal lives is what she needs for good health.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
mchong9606 said:
vbrookee said:

Not sure about the plants, I'll let someone else speak to that, but a humid hide with 90 percent humidity would be nice. I'm sure you have humid days in Alabama, but what is the humidity range in your actual enclosure? Hot and humid where your little gal lives is what she needs for good health.

Exactly. If you read the humidity levels in the enclosure with the lights and heat, it won't be no where's close to what s/he needs.
Check out the tortoisetable.org for plant, weed and flower ideas. Quick ones I can think of are Boston fern, optunia cactus, wondering Jew, aloe, pothos.

J REED

5 Year Member

vbrookee said:
I live in up HWY 225 by Bruno's in Spanish Fort!

Wow thats crazy..thats only about 15 mins from me.....

Jeremy

Penn

5 Year Member
This is my enclosure (before) photos. I've done some modification to it of late. I've added a large a plexiglass top and added a humidifier mist and lined the wood with waterproofing application. I has to remove the potted plants and the solar lights, it doesn't look as good but it's healthier for the them.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1375054253.833481.jpg ImageUploadedByTortForum1375054294.977949.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

J REED

5 Year Member

Penn said:
This is my enclosure (before) photos. I've done some modification to it of late. I've added a large a plexiglass top and added a humidifier mist and lined the wood with waterproofing application. I has to remove the potted plants and the solar lights, it doesn't look as good but it's healthier for the them.

What did u waterproof it with...

Jeremy

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
Penn said:

Oh I love your enclosure!! Such an adorable house!

klinej50

5 Year Member
San Antonio Texas
ImageUploadedByTortForum1375055161.835719.jpg
Cut out a hole over the humid hide and added a light to make it hot. My plants are oregano, sweet potato vine and added a seed mix I got from tortoise supply. Substrate is coconut coir and soil, also moss in the hides. Temps are 100 degrees in basking spot and 80-85 is cool area and closer to 90 in the humid hide.

Last edited by a moderator:

Penn

5 Year Member
I forgot what it was called. It was a rubber sealant in a spray can, $9.00 at OSH. Then I lined it plastic liner.

J REED

5 Year Member

Penn said:
I forgot what it was called. It was a rubber sealant in a spray can, $9.00 at OSH. Then I lined it plastic liner.

Is it like a black rubber undercoating?

Jeremy

dwright27

5 Year Member
Penn said:

I'm sort of new, why did you have to get rid of those things?
I love your tort table, by the way!:tort:

J REED

5 Year Member

dwright27 said:
Penn said:

I'm sort of new, why did you have to get rid of those things?
I love your tort table, by the way!:tort:

Because they probably stuck up too high for the lid....

Jeremy

Status
Not open for further replies.