enclosure/uvb

Status
Not open for further replies.

erinnco22

5 Year Member
001.JPG
I have had my (6 mo old) desert tortoises for a month now, and feel like I am constantly adjusting their home because I read so many different opinions on what I need. I am overwhelmed.
We only have a 10 gallon tank right now, which I am comfortable with because they are so tiny. I understand I will need to up-size in the near future.
So my questions are... what UVB would be suitable for this size tank? I was looking at the power sun, but it read that it should be used for a 20 gallon minimum. So i went with a coiled 13w reptiglow. Now i am reading all sorts of warnings on those.
please help! i will be heading back to petsmart this afternoon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Yes...don't use the coiled bulb. It might be a good idea because of the small tank, to get a tube-type fluorescent bulb such as this:

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...por-bulbs/-/zoo-med-15-repti-sun-50-uvb-bulb/

Of course, that means you'd have to buy a new fixture too. Do you have a heat light? Or a CHE (ceramic heat emitter)? If you use the fluorescent tube and a CHE, you would turn off the light at night and leave the CHE on 24/7.

erinnco22

5 Year Member
I have a heat pad that is on 24/7. I have a zilla day white 50w UVA that I leave on for 12 hrs.

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
I am a newbie but like you have baby desert tortoise in a 10 gallon tank. I feel your pain as I read and try to make the right habitat! I purchased the Power Sun 100 w bulb to use because I also was using the spiral . For the first time Master Oogway came out to enjoy the artificial sun. He would not do that with the other light but ran and hid under his log. The log is still his favorite place .In order to make the bulb work for the small tank I have to keep the humidity at 80 percent. How I achieve this is cover the top with aluminum except where the light is , keep a wet soaked sponge on the log ( wet twice a day), then constantly mist with a spray bottle when the humidity begins to drop under 80. My next step is to find a way to keep the humidity without me spraying through out the day. I turn of the heating pad and all other heating elements when the Power Sun is on . At night when the Powersun is off the heating pad & red heat light come on. If the Powersun seems to get to hot you can purchase lamp stand to raise it higher(away from the top) to lower the temperature. If you give the Powersun a try I would watch it closely until you get it regulated to how you want it but I have got it to work for me Using a 10 gallon. Wish they made a 75w bulb!

Status
Not open for further replies.