Enclosure Troubleshooting Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunartwist

5 Year Member
So, I have Viola, my RF, in a 55 gal Rubbermaid storage container. Her bedding is 100% Sphagnum Moss, and her water dish is one of those large ceramic pot bottoms. Her basking light, which is a 100watt Powersun is on the side of her water dish for extra humidity. She also has a towel chip-clipped to the top of her enclosure, covering just a little bit over 1/3 of it, to try and keep humidity in. She gets misted once or twice a day.

Basically my goal is as much humidity as possible.

But today I had Viola out in the yard, wandering about as it was a nice, sunny day out. I noticed something. Her skin is looking a bit dry and scaly, especially her head. There's flakes of dead skin on it, as if she's having a really bad bout of eczema or something. I can only assume that she is still being kept too dry despite my best efforts.

I think its time for an enclosure change.

There's a reptile expo coming at the end of the month, and also one in June. I have the opportunity to get her an entirely new enclosure. I wanted to know, in peoples' opinions, what seems to work best for a RF? I'm looking for something wide and enclosed to keep maximum humidity in.

I also noticed that a lot of people keep their humidity-needing tortoises in aquariums on this site? I was always under the impression that aquariums were the least ideal habitat for a tortoise, due to the tall, narrow structure of it, plus tortoises not recognizing the glass and trying to walk through it. Maybe I was steered wrong?

Anyway, I'm just trying to go for suggestions and maybe a bit of troubleshooting. Yes I have searched and looked at the pictures of RF enclosures on this site, but I would like to discuss something that perhaps works better for me. Any help would be appreciated. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Yes, you were steered wrong. Some people believe tortoise need dry air and no humidity. If that is your goal then don't use an aquarium or closed chamber. If on the other hand you want warm humid air for your tortoise, then a closed chamber is for you.

A towel will not hold in humidity or warmth. You need something more solid.

Unfortunately, closed chambers of the right type and dimensions usually have to be built. There are a few manufactures, like Vision, but you'll have to check and see if they make one that will fit what you need.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
For now you can get plexiglass to cover some of the tub she's in. You can get it at Lowe's or Home Depot. Plexiglass will keep the heat and humidity in.

Status
Not open for further replies.