Enclosure Substrate Question for Tub Set-up

KTyne

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chilliwack, BC
Hello everyone, I apologize if this subject has been asked 100 times before!

I just got my very first tortoise today, she is either a Red-foot or a Cherry Head, not sure which. The previous owner had her living in a 20 gallon long tank on coco fibre but the tank is too small for her (she is the size of my palm).

So in the next couple of days here I'm going to be getting a 189L tub (one of the super long deep ones) to set up an indoor enclosure for her!

My questions are these...

What type of substrate should I be using?

How can I keep humidity high enough without the substrate being damp?

I will get some slate tiles to place on the one end too so that she can get off of the substrate to bask.

Any advice is appreciated as this will be my first time setting up an enclosure for a Tort!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I would recommend coconut coir, it holds moisture well. To keep the humidity in you can cover all or part of the enclosure. adding tortoise safe plants will also help keep the humidity up.

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
Thanks! Should there be a drainage layer underneath the substrate? I don't want to be dealing with mold.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Do a search for "closed chambers". It'll help you understand the benefits to covering your enclosure and how to keep high humidity without soggy substrate. ..just what you want :)

I liked coco coir. It smells good :cool:

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
It shouldn't mold. I do not have a Redfoot, but I'm sure Redfoot owners will be along soon.But if you just add water to the substrate every two or three days at least, and stir it around well with your hands so that is is evenly damp but not wet. You should pick up a handfuland squeeze it and it should hold it shape but not drip water.

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
Thanks guys, I really appreciate all of the advice I can get! I've been researching Tortoise care for a couple of years now but I'm sure you all understand that research is nothing compared to actually having the animal and getting everything perfect, lol.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
a closed chamber is this 3227.jpg 5479.jpg 5481.jpg with a closed chamber you can hold humidity and heat without having to do much effort i need to replace my wood doors with some plexiglass but either way it works my humidity stay's in the 80% range except right under the CHE and my heat say's about 83-84F with high humidity you don't want to let the temps drop to low or you'll have a sick tort if you have anymore questions ask away

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
So here is how I got her all set up! I'll be getting some slate tile to put on the basking end as well as some real plants to plant in there eventually, and some other decorations like rocks and such. :)

I got dirt in her dishes while setting it up... :\

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Looks like a good start. I would scoot the UVB light over so that it covers more of the enclosure. But having the heat lamp at one end is good. You should cover it if possible. this will keep in the humidity and heat better. and I agree, all the research in the world doesn't matter until you actually have the tortoise and the set up. It is not always as easy as it sounds on line.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
silly...she'll get a lot of dirt in her dish over time.. LOL

I'd cover the bin. You cold use the tub's lid, aluminum foil, plexiglass, a shower curtain. etc... depending on what you use to cover it, you will make certain mods to accommodate the lighting.

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
Thanks guys!
I was wondering how I would go about modifying the lid to go on top without the heat lamp melting the lid? It's a small heat lamp but it gives off a lot of heat!

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Cut holes to fit the light, then line the open space in the whole with foil, so it won't melt the plastic. If that makes sense. I'm bad at explaining things!

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
No that makes sense Tyanna! ^_^
I might even just cut one end off of the lid so that there is a small gap where the lights can be, and also make it so there is some air flow there.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Air flow means loosing the hot, humid air you are trying to maintain. Some of us prefer to restrict air flow for the pros of maintaining the closed chamber. BTW, they'll get air everytime you open to feed/change water etc. And it's not "air tight".

Try this: I had a tub chamber for a while. It worked great.

28mlhf7.jpg

wcfina.jpg

The dome in back holds a 100watt CHE plugged into a thermostat set for 80F. The dome in front holds a 60watt incandescent light bulb plugged into a timer for 12hours on/off.

This chamber held temps and humidity wonderfully.

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
That looks awesome! Only issue is that I have a long light for the UVA/B light, not a dome.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
That looks awesome! Only issue is that I have a long light for the UVA/B light, not a dome.
This can easily be secured under the lid. It won't generate the heat to cause concern.

Either attach it to a bracket under the lid OR attach it to a bar/brace secured to opposing walls