Enclosure Size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

demo183

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
So I've heard a lot of different answers and am sort of confused. I have a relatively young Female Russian who is still growing. She is kept indoors, with outdoor supervised time. I want to build her an enclosure that she will have for LONG time, but I'm curious what the minimum dimensions for an adult Female Russian enclosure? Thanks!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would say the absolute minimum would also depend on your overall enclosure/tortoise yard design? I would say the smallest can be 10' x 10' x 6' for one tortoise....this is my opinion and I am sure you will get info from others here so sit tight :p:p

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
ive heard minimum is about 2'x'4.. id say the trusty ol 50 gal rubbermaid! and for outdoor... 3 by 8 is a pretty good size

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
LOL...my answer was for an outdoor yard/enclosure....not in your house....hahaha, I am not sure now which you were talking about??? :rolleyes:

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
ascott said:
LOL...my answer was for an outdoor yard/enclosure....not in your house....hahaha, I am not sure now which you were talking about??? :rolleyes:

my bad... i was saying 50gal for indoor and 3' x 8' is a good size for a female russian for outside :] plenty of space!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
There are many different opinions on minimum enclosure sizes. Some of it depends upon your resources including space available, the overall adult size that your tortoise will become, species and their needs.

Russian tortoises, even females, stay relatively small in comparison to most other species. But they are often also one of the most active species too. The common saying when it comes to tortoise enclosures is: "Bigger is better". That is true but obviously most people have some kind of limitations in terms of space and resources. I have 5 acres of cleared land but I can't afford to cover all 5 acres with tortoises enclosures! Wish I could.

I think a good size outdoor enclosure for a female Russian tortoise is at least 8' x 8' or something close to that dimension. I square enclosures better than rectangular because it gives the appearance of being larger rather than longer and more narrow.In a square enclosure it's easier to place obstacles, food and water areas and daytime hides in the center which draws the tortoise toward the center rather than having to constantly pace along a long narrow wall. But the shape and dimensions imay depend upon the location that it needs to fit into.

Indoors I think the minimum size for an adult Russian is 2' x 6'. Square enclosures usually aren't practical for most people indoors.

Status
Not open for further replies.