Red foot cherry head enclosure

Jonesy7178

Location (City and/or State)
Aurora
Hello I’m looking to upgrade my tortoise enclosure currently he’s in a Rubbermaid under bed container witch is about 3ftx1.5ft. I’d like to upgrade to a bigger size but can’t seem to find any that’s larger. Also attached is a pic of the enclosure please let me know what else he needs. Thanks D70C995E-38F0-4535-963D-0C8A1000EAEC.jpeg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You'll need to get rid of that RED bulb. It makes everything look red. And therefore, everything looks like something to eat.
Use a CHE for heat.
I also don't see what you're using for UVB.
You'll need a strip florescent T5 UVB. Not one of those screw-in coiled compacts.
What is the ambient humidity and temperature?

Jonesy7178

Aurora
You'll need to get rid of that RED bulb. It makes everything look red. And therefore, everything looks like something to eat.
Use a CHE for heat.
I also don't see what you're using for UVB.
You'll need a strip florescent T5 UVB. Not one of those screw-in coiled compacts.
What is the ambient humidity and temperature?
Temp stays around 70-75 and 80-90 in the light humidity stays around 65. Thanks for the info I didn’t know that about the light

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Temp stays around 70-75 and 80-90 in the light humidity stays around 65. Thanks for the info I didn’t know that about the light
Temps need to be over 80 for complete digestion. But Redfoot dislike temps above 90ish and can actually overheat at other tortoises higher basking temps.
Humidity needs to be over 70%

Jonesy7178

Aurora
Temps need to be over 80 for complete digestion. But Redfoot dislike temps above 90ish and can actually overheat at other tortoises higher basking temps.
Humidity needs to be over 70%
Ok I’m in the process of making a new enclosure so this is all great info what’s the best way to get the heat and humidity to balance it will be a 6x3 enclosure with about a 2 ft cover on it

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ok I’m in the process of making a new enclosure so this is all great info what’s the best way to get the heat and humidity to balance it will be a 6x3 enclosure with about a 2 ft cover on it
Use Orchid bark as substrate and pour a little water in it.
With a lid, the water will slowly evaporate and provide the humidity.
I get my Orchid bark from Home Depot and it's very inexpensive 20191221_162920.jpg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
It's hard for me to see as I can't turn my computer upside down, but do I see a drip type water bottle?
Plus use a strip fluorescent type uvb I think it's something like T5 bulb, and a Ceramic Heat Emitter for heat. Redfoots live on the forest floor so they don't like bright light. Didn't ZEROPILOT give you all the temperatures? I don't keep Redfoots, but I know some. He's the expert

Last edited:

Jonesy7178

Aurora
It's hard for me to see as I can't turn my computer upside down, but do I see a drip type water bottle?
So sorry I’m new to all this and couldn’t get the picture to flip but yes I is there so the bowl is constantly full. Is that a bad thing to have

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
So sorry I’m new to all this and couldn’t get the picture to flip but yes I is there so the bowl is constantly full. Is that a bad thing to have
Well, no now that you say there's a bowl as I wasn't sure they could learn on of those bump kind of watering