Enclosure size

Sofie

Hello from Denmark :)!

I've been thinking about getting one or two Russians but currently, I dont have a huge amount of indoor space. My question is how much space the russions would need to be happy, if i get them as babies? I know that a grown Russian needs at least 1 kvm of space, but would less be enough for a small turtle if it is only for a limited amount of time (i'm planning om moving to something bigger where a big enclousure woulndt be a problem)? It will be possible for them to get a bigger enclosure during summer months outside.
Also, how fast do they grow?

Thanks in advance!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome to the forum, Good to have you here.

If you have limited space, you better just have one Russian tortoise. because two tortoise are the bad idea with any species of torts. and I don't think your limited space can hold 3 or more tortoise.

And for the question of how big of enclosure for one Russian? I will say as big as you can provide. Bigger are always better for the enclosure.

Sofie

Thanks a bunch for the quick answer :)

Im still reseaching and gathering all the knowledge I can before I go out and get a tortoise, but so far I have seen some sites advise, that you keep more than just one tortoise, since land tortoises (are they called then in english? Anyhow, I'm sure you know what I mean :) - tortoises that live on land.. ) are social creatures. But then again I can also read on this forum, that Russians in paticular can be aggresive/dominating toward other tortoises and are better kept apart. Any chance that you could clear up this confusion for me?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
No, Tortoise are never social creatures, they are solitary animal, maybe except aldabra tortoise. maybe pancake tortoise also.

Land "tortoise" we just call then Tortoises. Most turtles lives in water. But Box turtles live mostly on land too.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I've got to agree :D
Russian males are little bullies, and not even females might not be able to stay together. I'll admit that setting up a breeding colony would be fun and experimental, but it probably wouldn't end well. :(
Some tortoises like Redfoots and yellowfoots (and aldabra;) ) are 'social' torts and can do 'okay' on groups, but you won't be getting any of those with limited space :D
Russians do need a bit of wander room... single adult can work out in a 4x8 space... it's always great if you can start large, but for a baby even just a 4x3-4 would work out for a while.
It depends... every tort grows differently.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
In case you want one more opinion, i agree with the above. Russians are not social, and they need as much space as possible. Welcome to the forum.

Sofie

Thanks I appreciate all the input! I know there are a lot of people out there who things they are expert on the subject but give out wrong information. Being new to this it's great to hear experienced owners opinion, thanks a bunch :)
I'll do my very best to make all the space I can, of course. I want my soon-to-be tortoises to be happy :D

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Thanks I appreciate all the input! I know there are a lot of people out there who things they are expert on the subject but give out wrong information. Being new to this it's great to hear experienced owners opinion. How about greeks? They are solitude animals as well?
I like greeks, I think they're rather pretty :D
Yes...another tort that could work out for you is a hermanns. Both 'are' solitary, but I don't keep either, so I'll give @puffy137 a ring ;)
Here's a lovely russian caresheet-
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
-:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
An adult russian should have a minimum indoor enclosure size of 4x8 feet (120x240 cm). A single baby can be in something smaller for a little while, but if you house and feed them correctly they put on size quickly.

Any website that calls tortoises social animals is suspect in my opinion. That is a broad statement that is generally not true. Sure there are some exceptions in some cases, but even the ones found in close proximity in nature are not what I would call social in the sense of mammals, fish, birds or other animals. A pair of russians is almost always going to be a problem.

Here are some care sheets with all sorts of tips for housing them well:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/