Enclosure material

Alexio

Location (City and/or State)
Syracuse, New York
I have wanted sooo badly to make an enclosure out of this but the home depot neat me won't cut it and I can't transport 4*8s.
I sware by this stuff though, it is resistant to mold and moisture and splitting and insect infestation.
This would essentially be the gold standard of tortoise enclosure building material.
Many people use them for snake and lizard enclosures. If you do a google search for DIY PVC snake enclosures you will find some nice examples.
I would highly recommend this , you also don't need to do anything to finish it except for maybe caulking up the edges. It should not need any plastic or finishes. People use this on the exterior of their homes and it is usually guarantied for up to 20 years.

Sorry I kinda started ranting there in the end, but if you have the money and the right saw blade this is the way to go. Looks great unpainted and unfinished too.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
i really really want to i can't find it anywhere near me tho. i also know screw's dont really cut it for keeping it together most have to be plastic welded which isn't that hard but still. 

Steve_carter

UK
i really really want to i can't find it anywhere near me tho. i also know screw's dont really cut it for keeping it together most have to be plastic welded which isn't that hard but still. 

Working in the sign industry i use lots of materials including pvc, acrylics, plastics. There is a wide variety of glues you can use to fuse things together. Not sure what they might be called where you are but in the uk if you search sign making plastic bonding glue it comes up with sites which offer the glue. Not sure if they only deal in trade but if so I'm sure a local sign maker to you could order one for you.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Used it for my kitchen ceiling, but have not tried it for the tortoises.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Working in the sign industry i use lots of materials including pvc, acrylics, plastics. There is a wide variety of glues you can use to fuse things together. Not sure what they might be called where you are but in the uk if you search sign making plastic bonding glue it comes up with sites which offer the glue. Not sure if they only deal in trade but if so I'm sure a local sign maker to you could order one for you.

since you work in the sign industry would you happen to know if some shops will sell the pvc itself? i already have a plastic welder that i really like. just uses a rod of plastic like a glue stick pretty much and fuses them together. i've also been trying to find the name to ask for i've seen it under xpvc and other odd names

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Damn, it's expensive. But it looks like it would work great.
How about stainless steel "L" brackets and screws? At 1/2" thick, you should be able to make that work. Especially if you then caulk the seams.

Steve_carter

UK
since you work in the sign industry would you happen to know if some shops will sell the pvc itself? i already have a plastic welder that i really like. just uses a rod of plastic like a glue stick pretty much and fuses them together. i've also been trying to find the name to ask for i've seen it under xpvc and other odd names

I would of thought larger signmakers will have pvc sheets or equivelant in stock however smaller signmakers should be able to get it in for you and have these all cut to your sizes required probably next day delivery too if its anything like the UK over there. We have different names for materials over here also.

Also have you tried window/door/roof flashing manufacturers? They might have this material you are looking at and off-cuts also to cut your costs down slightly?

Over here popular products simular to what you are looking at is uPVC, acyrlic sheets, polypropylene, Pegt sheets - Some which are available with texture finishes.