enclosure ideas/help?

FoggyStreets

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
For my next project for my new russian tortoise I want to build her a better enclosure.

Generally speaking, I feel like indoors is the better option for me. I live in northern NJ. The weather has been so random lately and for the majority of the year I feel like it's not what I'd consider 'warm'. I'm not sure which temperatures they can tolerate, though. What are your thoughts? Is it impossible to make a suitable indoor enclosure?

For lighting, I'm working off of this care sheet: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/ I'm going to get a thermometer tomorrow so I can be sure that it's good for her and fits these specifications. She has one of those expensive UV tubes from the petstore right now that her old owner gave to me, but I've read that's not suitable so it's only temporary. I've been taking her outside every couple of days in a temporary small enclosure (flimsy wooden thing old owner gave me, probably also from a petstore, not that much space) and sitting with her for a few hours while I work, so hopefully this is okay for now until I get UV. I've noticed they're kind of expensive (this is okay, I'm up for spending on what she needs) so if you guys have direct links to HO UV lights that are suitable for her that you use I would love that resource.

Decor is where I'm a bit stumped. Her enclosure is very unadorned right now. She has a terracotta dish (I got it from Home Depot) for soaking, a smaller terracotta dish where I put her food, and a wood half-log (I don't like this log...it's big and kind of ugly and the actual opening is so low so she never goes inside it...I got it from her old owner). I sometimes see her climbing around on it so I left it in there for her to explore if she likes. I have an upside-down tub that I cut into for her humid box thing, and I mist the substrate there. She goes in there sometimes.
As I grow more plants (I have broadleaf testudo mix from tortoisesupply on its way) I plan to move those in there as well for her to snack on. Is there anything else I should add? A basking rock or something? Oh, I have cuttlebone on the way too.

For substrate, I have entirely coco coir right now. Is that okay? Should I be mixing different types? Do I need to mist it? I've been misting under her hide box but nowhere else right now.

I want to build a proper temporary outdoor enclosure too soon but I want to start with this. I don't mind putting a lot of effort in and making it on the larger side. I have an empty room I'm not using for anything in particular and I think I'm making it her room. I don't have the dimensions of it right now but if I make it take up most of the room it should give her a lot of space to walk around and do her thing. If someone knows their recommended size for an indoor russian enclosure, I'd love suggestions.

Also, while I'm here, would like to add that I've been picking weeds from my yard that are safe for her and I've been feeding them to her. I've never used any pesticides or anything (I never actually gave my yard much thought until now...it's an absolute mess. Tortoise heaven though...?) so I can ensure that they probably won't be treated by that. I've just been washing them off and putting them in her enclosure. Is there something more I should do to clean them or should a rinse suffice?

Sorry that this is a lot of information. I wanted to be thorough so you knew what you were working with. Would love links to resources if possible! Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Generally speaking, I feel like indoors is the better option for me. I live in northern NJ. The weather has been so random lately and for the majority of the year I feel like it's not what I'd consider 'warm'. I'm not sure which temperatures they can tolerate, though. What are your thoughts? Is it impossible to make a suitable indoor enclosure?
It is possible to make a suitable indoor enclosure. I prefer to have both an indoor and an outdoor enclosure for smaller torts. Use the indoor when the weather isn't great, and use the outdoor one when the weather is nice. If you make a heated shelter, like the one in the thread you read, you can extend the outdoor time farther into the fall, and start it earlier in the spring.

...so if you guys have direct links to HO UV lights that are suitable for her that you use I would love that resource.
Do a search for Arcadia ProT5 Kit. Or go to Lightyourreptiles.com He is a member here and a great source of UV and lighting info.

Decor is where I'm a bit stumped. Her enclosure is very unadorned right now. She has a terracotta dish (I got it from Home Depot) for soaking, a smaller terracotta dish where I put her food, and a wood half-log (I don't like this log...it's big and kind of ugly and the actual opening is so low so she never goes inside it...I got it from her old owner). I sometimes see her climbing around on it so I left it in there for her to explore if she likes. I have an upside-down tub that I cut into for her humid box thing, and I mist the substrate there. She goes in there sometimes.
As I grow more plants (I have broadleaf testudo mix from tortoisesupply on its way) I plan to move those in there as well for her to snack on. Is there anything else I should add? A basking rock or something? Oh, I have cuttlebone on the way too.
Use a flat rock under the basking flood bulb for better heat dispersal. Add some tortoise safe potted plants, logs, or large rocks for decor.

For substrate, I have entirely coco coir right now. Is that okay? Should I be mixing different types? Do I need to mist it? I've been misting under her hide box but nowhere else right now.
Coco Coir is fine, but you must keep it damp and and pack it. I prefer fine grade orchid bark for adults. No need to mix different types. Misting does very little. To keep the substrate properly damp, you will need to dump water in to it. How much water and how often varies by enclosure. You have to go by feel.

I want to build a proper temporary outdoor enclosure too soon but I want to start with this. I don't mind putting a lot of effort in and making it on the larger side. I have an empty room I'm not using for anything in particular and I think I'm making it her room. I don't have the dimensions of it right now but if I make it take up most of the room it should give her a lot of space to walk around and do her thing. If someone knows their recommended size for an indoor russian enclosure, I'd love suggestions.
Minimum I recommend is 4x8 feet. If you have a whole room, I'd make an "L" shaped table with each leg of the "L" getting as close to 4x8 feet as you can get.

Also, while I'm here, would like to add that I've been picking weeds from my yard that are safe for her and I've been feeding them to her. I've never used any pesticides or anything (I never actually gave my yard much thought until now...it's an absolute mess. Tortoise heaven though...?) so I can ensure that they probably won't be treated by that. I've just been washing them off and putting them in her enclosure. Is there something more I should do to clean them or should a rinse suffice?
No need to rinse the food weeds unless they are dirty. Yard weeds are great tortoise food.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, it's possible to have an outdoor enclosure. Personally tortoises should be living outside when it's summer.
You can always bring him in when it's too cold or build a heated hide box that he can stay on those colder days during spring, summer and fall.