enclosure help

Status
Not open for further replies.

fay

5 Year Member
Hi,
I got my first tortoise last year shes a 1 and a 1/2 year old hermans.
I was wondering to make the soil/sand mix can I just use play sand and if so do I have to do anything to clean it before she uses it and is it the same with the soil?
Also I would like to put some stones into her box to make it a little more interesting for her, if I was to take these from the beach am I able to place them straight in or..?
Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Fay:

2335883k8s6e8t8n8.gif

to the forum!!

I'm not familiar with Hermann's care, so I'll let others help you with your question!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I keep and breed Hermann's tortoises, other Mediterranean tortoises and Russians.
For my young tortoises when indoors I keep them on a substrate that consists of 65% organic potting soil, 20% coconut coir and the rest a mixture of ground up sphagnum moss and leaf litter. I've found this mixture to retain moisture well but still be firm enough to provide good footing. It also holds it's form well when they're digging in at night.
I use MiracleGro organic potting soil available at most home centers. The coconut coir is Zoo Med brand "Eco Earth" blocks. The sphagnum moss I pick locally but it can be purchased at home centers. The leaf litter is just that-dead leaves.
I spray this substrate twice daily. Once first thing in the morning to simulate a morning dew and more heavily at night, just before the lights go out. I also sometimes spray them heavily in the afternoon to simulate a summer afternoon rain. About once a week I remove the tortoises and thoroughly soak and mix up the substrate to get the moisture throughout.
I personally do not like using sand as part of the substrate. I used to use it but always found sand clinging to their eyes, mouth and anything else with some moisture on it, including their food at times. Other than heat retention I see no real purpose for the sand. Large flat stones have equal or better heat retention and also allow for a solid surface for footing and feeding on.
Adding some stones to the enclosure can serve an important purpose as obstacles for the tortoise to go around, over and to bask on. Just pick out ones that are not too steep so that the tortoise doesn't overturn when trying to climb them. It's always advisable to clean any stones from outdoors with a mild cleaning solution to kill some of the things that you can't see!

fay

5 Year Member
Ok thanks.
The shop I bought her from last year told me to use 60% soil 40% sand and didnt really know much else! Someone also said to use hemp bedding but ive heard this can be dangerous for the tortoise.
I want her to be in the best environment possible but couldnt really find very much information on how to do this.
Thank you again you've helped alot :)

Status
Not open for further replies.