Enclosed chambers

SA_MargTort

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
How long do hatchlings need to stay in an enclosed chamber?

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas

That’s a great question and I’m going to let a more experienced member answer it so I can learn! In the mean time, how old is your Sully? Would you share pics please? I have two that are 5-1/2 months and 1!that is just over 2 yrs.. welcome!

SA_MargTort

5 Year Member
Texas
I have 2 females and 1 male adult almost 20 yrs old and 8 hatchlings. 6 are 3 months old and 2 are just over a month old.IMG_1538183512.783623.jpgIMG_1538183543.222246.jpgIMG_1538183597.551275.jpgIMG_1538183624.224642.jpg

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Awwww! How precious! The adults are gorgeous too! So these are Elongated / Marginated tortoises? I have only recently started educating myself on tortoises. I never knew there were so many! I love seeing all the different shell patterns and shapes and colors from all over the world. I see this as being a serious problem for me later on down the road:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I see this question often and it demonstrates that some people don't understand what a closed chamber is for and what it does. A closed chamber is not for making swampy humid conditions. A closed chamber is used to separate the enclosure air from the room air that has different humidity and temperature values than what the keeper wished to provide. A closed chamber can be bone dry and cold or hot and humid, or anywhere in between. Use of a closed chamber makes it easy for the keeper to establish and maintain whatever conditions are desired without having to fight the physics of the room air constantly mixing with the enclosure air. My example is submerging your frosty margarita in a hot tub. The hot water will quickly mix with your frozen beverage and it won't be nearly as pleasant to drink after that. Now put a lid on your margarita and submerge it. This "closed chamber" of your covered margarita glass will keep your beverage much cleaner and cooler, at least for a little while longer than with an open top that allows free mixing of the two vastly different liquids.

There is no time limit for how long to use a closed chamber. They are good for any life stage of any species of tortoise. The closed chamber simply makes it easier to maintain whatever conditions you want, with a minimum of electricity usage as an added benefit.

SA_MargTort

5 Year Member
Texas
Thanks for the info. I have had my adults for quite sometime but did not have the info that is available now when I first started. These are the first hatchlings that I have been blessed with and I wanted to ensure that I was doing the best for them.