EMERGENCY!

zovick

10 Year Member!
See my post in your other thread. This tortoise is either having difficulty breathing due to pneumonia or has something stuck in its throat or esophagus.

It almost appears that it might have inhaled water during soaking. Is that a possibility?

Either way, I heartily recommend you see a good reptile vet before the tortoise expires which does not appear to be far off from the looks of the tortoise.

Tortobsessed

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
You need to take the tortoise to a reliable reptile vet NOW. It's life is on the line and it doesn't look like it's going to fix itself.
Edit: I'm glad that she's doing better but I still think she needs to go to a vet. There's still likely something in her throat/lungs that needs to come out. If this is the case I doubt she'll be able to eat.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Keep it warm and cosy till the morning. Do you have heat in the enclosure can you keep that running. Was it soaking in deep water could it have taken in water?

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Could be, this morning she only soaked 10 min, I did it again a two hours ago, and she started to cough more, walking around coughing, the water was not deep.

galapagosgirl1

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
What was the last thing he ate and when did he poop last?

galapagosgirl1

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
I have had galaps develop respiratory issues when obstructed (not pooping). Make sure you are providing warm soaks and watch for poop. How often does she normally eat? 5 days seems pretty long.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
I got her a week ago, she changed from an ocean climate to savannah climate, I think it may caused a ri. I have had this tort for a week.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
I have another tort from the same clutch, happy healthy eating like no tomorrow soaking and pooping so it is healthy but the tort has been treated now for a ri and has been treated with baytril and has slept the entire day. Breathing opened beak, do you think she'll eat more now after time?

galapagosgirl1

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
It sounds like you went to the vet so I would follow his/her advice. If she hasn't pooped since you got her, she may not eat until she does. Listen for any abnormal sounds like a high pitched squeal or cry. They usually do this with their mouth wide open as if yawning. I'm not a professional but I have delt with this several times.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
You don't keep them together do you? To me she acts like an URTI not choking. The nasal passages are connected to the mouth...she 'could' be coughing up lung slime, it makes bubbles in her nares...respiratory...not choking. I'm not a Vet but I do watch Dr Pol daily...keep us posted...I use an antibiotic, terramycin...I find in a feed and seed store as a powder used for cattle and poultry. I use it for tortoises. How is she now? Keep us posted...
100_0708.JPG

TaylorTortoise

Abington
You don't keep them together do you? To me she acts like an URTI not choking. The nasal passages are connected to the mouth...she 'could' be coughing up lung slime, it makes bubbles in her nares...respiratory...not choking. I'm not a Vet but I do watch Dr Pol daily...keep us posted...I use an antibiotic, terramycin...I find in a feed and seed store as a powder used for cattle and poultry. I use it for tortoises. How is she now? Keep us posted...
View attachment 334302
Who is dr pol?