EMERGENCY URATES

Teesh

Charlie has been doing very well lately but tonight I woke up to Charlie ramping the whole house and I noticed that I haven't given him a bath in one day but I checked under him and his urates are trying to come out that they're extremely hard and they look like they're clogged in his anus!
please help he is in the bath but he is freaking out!!'ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1429733333.883020.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1429733361.964109.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1429733389.264772.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Take some mineral oil in an eye dropper and squeeze it around the opening of the cloaca to help lubricate the mass.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You might know it as liquid paraffin.

Teesh

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1429737191.273618.jpg little fella is so relieved and I am giving him from now on 2 soaks a day for 30 mins!!! He is so much better thank you all!
The stone was removed with a Q-tip
We pressed lightly and It popped off!
:):):):):)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Whew! It's so rewarding to read about a person who's not afraid to tackle the yucky problems. I'm very happy you were able to get this hard urate stone out without the little guy getting sick over it.

Hydration is key, naturally, but the types of foods you feed also have something to do with stones forming. Foods in the brassica family should be used sparingly (brussels sprouts, cabbage, collards, broccoli, etc.)

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Any food high in oxalates/oxalic acid you will want to feed in moderation, like spinach or kale, and everything Yvonne said. The oxalates can bind with calcium and produce stones. It's great you're keeping her hydrated, and make sure there's a water dish in her enclosure.

Glad that came out, that's pretty big for such a little guy!

Last edited: