Emergency Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badgemash

5 Year Member
Last night I had a terrible nightmare that I'd woken up to check on the torts and Octavia had a cut and was bleeding everywhere. Fortunately it was only a (terrible) dream, but it made me wonder what I should be keeping in the house for tortie emergencies.

So far all I've come up with is styptic powder and a jar of baby food, I'm sure there are other items I should have on hand, but I'm drawing a blank. Suggestions?

-Devon

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
What a bad nightmare to have, I am sure you were very happy to wake up :)
I have a couple of hand warmers, a plastic bin in case there is an emergency and we have to leave the house right away. I have Terramycin oitment and dried food.

Badgemash

5 Year Member
Isa said:
What a bad nightmare to have, I am sure you were very happy to wake up :)
I have a couple of hand warmers, a plastic bin in case there is an emergency and we have to leave the house right away. I have Terramycin oitment and dried food.

What is the Terramycin for and where can it be purchased? Good call on the hand warmers!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I have along with the other items: a bottle of water, hand sanitizer, paper towels, tweezers, scissors, bandages/gauze, vet emergency numbers (and family too), and a flashlight. Seems like I am forgetting a few items (old mind you understand..lol) Like the q-tips, iodine and cream...lol.

M

Maggie Cummings

betadine, Chlorhexadine, orange sticks, powdered Terramycin, bandaging material, as well as what has already been mentioned

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
We have had to evacuate because of wild fires two times. So I am always trying to figure out what to do for the torts and turtle. The turtle has a smaller plastic tote and I have a small reptile enclosure for the torts, but I have never had to leave with them. It is very stressful to evacuate your home and wonder if it is still there. What would you take for your torts for a fire evac.?
I don't even want to leave next time, but I have kids so I have to.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Angi said:
We have had to evacuate because of wild fires two times. So I am always trying to figure out what to do for the torts and turtle. The turtle has a smaller plastic tote and I have a small reptile enclosure for the torts, but I have never had to leave with them. It is very stressful to evacuate your home and wonder if it is still there. What would you take for your torts for a fire evac.?
I don't even want to leave next time, but I have kids so I have to.

I teach Red Cross Pet First Aid, and this is one of the topics covered.

It is best to evacuate with your pets and a good evac kit- especially if you know your shelter allows them (not all do). However, if your or your family's safety is at risk, leave them. (Pretty much common sense, right?)

Your pet evac kit should include a good carrier they can live in for a day or more, some photo ID showing the animal clearly and ideally showing you as well (to help prove ownership), any appropriate medical records and medicines (especially proof of rabies and other vaccinations for many kinds of pets), food and water, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.