EMERGENCY - CAN'T WALK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
I'm so sorry for your loss of Strawberry! Good luck with your new babies and I hope they are happy and healthy.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
So sorry your family has had to go through this. Just be sure to get your new tort from a reputable breeder and this forum is a good place to find one. Sounds to me like Strawberry might have already been sick when you got her and was just fighting it like a trooper. Best of luck to you in the future.

Redfoot Micah

5 Year Member
Central Florida
DesertGrandma said:
So sorry your family has had to go through this. Just be sure to get your new tort from a reputable breeder and this forum is a good place to find one. Sounds to me like Strawberry might have already been sick when you got her and was just fighting it like a trooper. Best of luck to you in the future.

Thanks, Joy, that's what we've discovered...how angering that they are breeding and giving such bad advice that really is harmful to such beautiful creatures - and yes, I'm sticking with you all ;)

Watsonpartyof4 said:
Redfoot Micah said:
It's with a heavy heart I report that our beloved Strawberry passed away last night.

I am so sorry for your loss... Heart felt hugs to you and your family. Just know you gave her the best life you could and even though she was here a short time, she loves you as well.

Thank you so much!

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I am deeply saddened to hear that you lost Strawberry.
God knows, you tried to save her.
My condolences to you and your family.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Sorry for your loss, it's heartbreaking news especially with all what you did. Good luck with the next one :)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Sadly, when an animal gets ill, there is often a cascade effect, where this relatively minor issue triggers another, and another, and so on. Your situation is a sad reminder of how important proper care from the very beginning is, and how often even good care from a concerned owner cannot always correct things.

When I commented about the need to see a vet quickly, the thing I was thinking of the most was paralysis due to issues like these:
- General weakness or paralysis: MBD, egg retention, peritonitis, spinal/shell injury, gout, arthritis, septicemia, heat stroke, Herpesvirus, RI.
- Hind limb paralysis or weakness: Kidney problems, nerve problems, MBD, lack of good protein.

It is such a hodge-podge of possibilities, and so many of them are outside the abilities of the typical keeper, that a vet seemed a good choice. One of the great tragedies of being a vet, though, is that so often by the time an animal is visibly sick, it is often too late to help.

Redfoot Micah

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Madkins007 said:
I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Sadly, when an animal gets ill, there is often a cascade effect, where this relatively minor issue triggers another, and another, and so on. Your situation is a sad reminder of how important proper care from the very beginning is, and how often even good care from a concerned owner cannot always correct things.

When I commented about the need to see a vet quickly, the thing I was thinking of the most was paralysis due to issues like these:
- General weakness or paralysis: MBD, egg retention, peritonitis, spinal/shell injury, gout, arthritis, septicemia, heat stroke, Herpesvirus, RI.
- Hind limb paralysis or weakness: Kidney problems, nerve problems, MBD, lack of good protein.

It is such a hodge-podge of possibilities, and so many of them are outside the abilities of the typical keeper, that a vet seemed a good choice. One of the great tragedies of being a vet, though, is that so often by the time an animal is visibly sick, it is often too late to help.

Thank you for your thoughts. The vet (who seemed to know what was what right away) said it was MBD because her bottom shell was very soft (which we tried to start treating when we found it a couple weeks prior), and because of that & the lack of immunity because of MBD developed a respiratory infection. She was dehydrated because she stopped eating & drinking - I'd still constantly soak her, but sadly she didn't make it. We're devastated but looking towards getting 2 more. I am upset at the advice & care our little one got from the breeders - but just keeping myself looking to the future & positive. I really appreciate your follow up, thank you!

kanalomele said:
Im so sorry for your loss. Im currently rehabilitating a redfoot over here and have had some scary days. I think this little girl is gonna pull through, but man they can tug at your heart! All the best with your new little ones.

What's wrong with your redfoot??? How is she doing now? Hope she's doing ok.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I once had a pet named Yoda (not a tortoise) die because I was misinformed. I felt terrible, but I promised Yoda's little soul that I would do my very BEST to make sure NONE of my pets EVER died needlessly again, and I have kept my word. I used the pain from that tragedy spur me on to learn as much as I can about good husbandry before getting ANY new pets. Somehow that helped: i now feel that my other pets' good health and happiness is a tribute to Yoda's memory so he didn't die in vain. It helped me and I hope it helps you. Hugs from Bea (aka Moozilion)

Redfoot Micah

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Moozilion said:
I once had a pet named Yoda (not a tortoise) die because I was misinformed. I felt terrible, but I promised Yoda's little soul that I would do my very BEST to make sure NONE of my pets EVER died needlessly again, and I have kept my word. I used the pain from that tragedy spur me on to learn as much as I can about good husbandry before getting ANY new pets. Somehow that helped: i now feel that my other pets' good health and happiness is a tribute to Yoda's memory so he didn't die in vain. It helped me and I hope it helps you. Hugs from Bea (aka Moozilion)

Yes, we've made the same promise our little Strawberry. Thank you for your encouragement. We're looking forward to the new additions to come in the next couple months.

Status
Not open for further replies.