Electric fence

Status
Not open for further replies.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Upstate NY
Who uses an electric fence to protect their torts from preditors like coons and skunks?

Any advice or lessons learned?

Any reasons I should NOT consider an electric fence?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
One thing to remember with the electric wire, if you have it too close to the fence so that the animal pushes the wire into contact with the fence as it climbs, it grounds out and doesn't shock. You would attach the wire on the 6" insulators to the outside of the fence so that as the animal reaches up to climb over, he touches it with his head, face or paws and gets the shock. The tortoise would never come into contact with it as its on the outside of the fence. It usually doesn't work for dogs and cats, though, because they just jump over. It only works for an animal that climbs over.

Yvonne

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
terryo said:
Wouldn't the tort get zapped too, if he went near the fence?

If properly designed, the tort would never come near the electric wire! The same barrier (wood, concrete block, etc) would keep the tort in, and the electric wires would be higher. In the absolute worst case, I would rather a tort get a shock lesson than an escape to the unknown.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
In my experience, with egg laying chickens, the coons get in no matter what (although they never ate the chickens, just their eggs)... they dig, they naw, they figure things out like Raptors in Jurassic Park... smart little buggers...

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Thanks for the feedback DC, however thats not what I wanted to hear!

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Hi Betts, I first learned of using an electric fence by a gentleman who lost his tort of 37 yrs!!His new one he had in a real cool set up lined by electric wire. I have mine outside all summer and will post a picture of my set up. One wire is set just outside and next to the top of the lattice I use and then another row just a few inches above.
Thanks DC for the encouragement!! But I hope to say I will never find out if it works or not. I feel better thinking those little buggers are getting their cute little fingers hot wired!! I know it gives a great zap!
Na

Barb92083

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Nay said:
Hi Betts, I first learned of using an electric fence by a gentleman who lost his tort of 37 yrs!!His new one he had in a real cool set up lined by electric wire. I have mine outside all summer and will post a picture of my set up. One wire is set just outside and next to the top of the lattice I use and then another row just a few inches above.
Thanks DC for the encouragement!! But I hope to say I will never find out if it works or not. I feel better thinking those little buggers are getting their cute little fingers hot wired!! I know it gives a great zap!
Na

I have electric fence up for the 4 legged vermin mine were stolen by the 2 legged veriaty

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Nay, Which brand do you use. I was looking at the Zareba A5 or A10. The A10 is $20 more, but has lots more volts! I want to make a statement to preditors.

Status
Not open for further replies.