Egg exploded. Ehat to do?

paper_boy

10 Year Member!
So one of my eggs just exploded. There are 6 eggs in there, one exploded, one dud, and 4 fertile. I wiped off the 4 good ones with dry paper towel and placed them in a different plastic container with in the same incubator.
There are 10 more eggs in different containers inside that said incubator.

Now my question is, would the explosion afgect the 4 other eggs inside that container? What about the other 10 inside the same incubator?

Attachments

• 321B1EE2-EEDB-48FF-86BD-62B461051520.jpeg
    321B1EE2-EEDB-48FF-86BD-62B461051520.jpeg
    214.5 KB · Views: 19

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
So one of my eggs just exploded. There are 6 eggs in there, one exploded, one dud, and 4 fertile. I wiped off the 4 good ones with dry paper towel and placed them in a different plastic container with in the same incubator.
There are 10 more eggs in different containers inside that said incubator.

Now my question is, would the explosion afgect the 4 other eggs inside that container? What about the other 10 inside the same incubator?
I have never had an egg explode. I know most others seem to have it happen, but I've hatched over 1000 tortoise eggs with none exploding. And from what i can see, this egg is only 4 weeks along. Pretty early for an explosion. If you can outline your incubation method, perhaps we can offer a suggestion. From the looks and your choice to post in the star section, I assume these are Indian star eggs as opposed to Burmese stars?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If I remember from years ago correctly, it all needs to be cleaned and medium changed or bacteria will form and ruin the other eggs.
Maybe @Tom can confirm.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have never had an egg explode. I know most others seem to have it happen, but I've hatched over 1000 tortoise eggs with none exploding. And from what i can see, this egg is only 4 weeks along. Pretty early for an explosion. If you can outline your incubation method, perhaps we can offer a suggestion. From the looks and your choice to post in the star section, I assume these are Indian star eggs as opposed to Burmese stars?
In your opinion, what would cause a bad egg to pop/ explode?
Is it a humidity thing?

paper_boy

10 Year Member!

sorry for the late reply.
Yes indian star eggs. Get a microwavable container drill 8 holes,add vermiculite, 1:1 ratio by weight, and place in the incubator.
Temps are hovering around 30.8-31.7c.

Although this egg showed no signs of life after a month, I kept it because you never know. I was really bummed about it exploding because I had eggs before that reach 2 months before they stink and did not explode.

Anyway, I got all the other eggs inside and placed them inside another container with new medium. I also wiped with alcohol the insides of the incubator that might have been exposed to the explosion.

paper_boy

10 Year Member!
If I remember from years ago correctly, it all needs to be cleaned and medium changed or bacteria will form and ruin the other eggs.
Maybe @Tom can confirm.
I did that. But I’m fearful for the eggs that were around the ones that exploded. I hope they make it

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I did that. But I’m fearful for the eggs that were around the ones that exploded. I hope they make it
From my understanding, as long as they weren't damaged at the time the eggs exploded and you cleaned up then that shouldn't have hurt anything.
I don't have any of my own experience with this, just what I am trying to remember reading from back in 2011 or so.
Good luck. Keep us posted.

paper_boy

10 Year Member!
Some
From my understanding, as long as they weren't damaged at the time the eggs exploded and you cleaned up then that shouldn't have hurt anything.
I don't have any of my own experience with this, just what I am trying to remember reading from back in 2011 or so.
Good luck. Keep us posted.
springtails here and there but otherwise still good