Edible bedding

Supersnusk

Location (City and/or State)
Bristol
Hi there.
I have an almost 2 year old herman tortoise.
I have been using hay for her bedding. But ewas thinking to change this to an edible bedding.
The product says is 100% natural. Consists of everything dried- grass, nettle, dandelion, raspberry leaf, marigold leaf and hibiscus.
I have read about these ingredients and says is perfect for a tortoise.
Just wondering on anyones feed back?
Thanks

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Do you have a link to an online source? We need a photo of the package...this might be an OK food supplement.

One main trouble with hay substrates is that they do not provide the proper surface for a tortoise's movement. Muscles, joints, nails, spine...they all need to be oriented and exercised in specific ways along a stable, packed ground substrate.

A further complication is the fact that hay molds very easily when exposed to moisture...urine, stool, and water added for humidity. Young animals that require high humidity should never be kept on hay.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is this what you're talking about:

I would hesitate to use something like this as substrate because of the poop and pee. Bad enough they poop and pee on their food dish, but I wouldn't want them constantly eating fouled bedding too.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
If it is the Pro rep stuff, that would be better sprinkled on top of food. Your substrate needs to be able to hold moisture without molding, which this substrate probably would not be able to do. Hay also molds when wet and can be pretty dusty, so it’s not a suitable substrate choice. Fine grade orchid bark, cypress mulch, or either of these in a mix of coconut coir work well.

Supersnusk

Bristol
Do you have a link to an online source? We need a photo of the package...this might be an OK food supplement.

One main trouble with hay substrates is that they do not provide the proper surface for a tortoise's movement. Muscles, joints, nails, spine...they all need to be oriented and exercised in specific ways along a stable, packed ground substrate.

A further complication is the fact that hay molds very easily when exposed to moisture...urine, stool, and water added for humidity. Young animals that require high humidity should never be kept on hay.
Hi there.
I was looking on e bay.
Theres not really a brand, just a online store.
Ok thanks for information.
So inside her bedding room, i should have some sort of base not just the hay?
Thank you.

Supersnusk

Bristol
Is this what you're talking about:

I would hesitate to use something like this as substrate because of the poop and pee. Bad enough they poop and pee on their food dish, but I wouldn't want them constantly eating fouled bedding too.
Hi there.
Yes similar product, just not this brand.
Ok thanks for the information, much appreciated.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Hi there.
I was looking on e bay.
Thank you.
You need to remove the hay completely, and replace it with fine grade orchid bark, cypress mulch, or coconut coir (or a mixture with coconut coir and the previous two). You can also use organic topsoil with no fertilizers, but it turns to mud when wet and is pretty messy. Hay is too dry, and molds when wet, so it should not be used.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Hi there.
I was looking on e bay.
Thank you.

Yes. Your indoor enclosure should be as close to outdoors as possible, and this includes the substrate (ground).

Most keepers like coco coir (those bricks of coconut husk that you reconstitute in water) packed down. Some top it off with fir bark (the small chips made for potted orchids) to keep it from getting too dusty. A full-grown Hermann's might be able to manage just a deep layer of fir bark.

Ideally, there should be a deep enough layer to allow for natural burrowing/nesting behaviors.

Coir and fir bark hold healthful levels of water without molding or being swampy, and are easy to clean.

Supersnusk

Bristol
Yes. Your indoor enclosure should be as close to outdoors as possible, and this includes the substrate (ground).

Most keepers like coco coir (those bricks of coconut husk that you reconstitute in water) packed down. Some top it off with fir bark (the small chips made for potted orchids) to keep it from getting too dusty. A full-grown Hermann's might be able to manage just a deep layer of fir bark.

Ideally, there should be a deep enough layer to allow for natural burrowing/nesting behaviors.

Coir and fir bark hold healthful levels of water without molding or being swampy, and are easy to clean.
Ok i will change this asap.
Thank you so much

Supersnusk

Bristol
You need to remove the hay completely, and replace it with fine grade orchid bark, cypress mulch, or coconut coir (or a mixture with coconut coir and the previous two). You can also use organic topsoil with no fertilizers, but it turns to mud when wet and is pretty messy. Hay is too dry, and molds when wet, so it should not be used.
Thank you so much