Eco Earth Coconut Fiber

Status
Not open for further replies.

RuthJanice

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif
I put Eco Earth Coconut Fiber in my hatchling's enclosure (sully tort) and I am not sure I like it..... seems to stick all over him - however he does not appear to mind much --- I could not find the coir in any of our shops here. Anyone else use this product and any problems????? This is my first tort - I feel like an over zealous mom. :rolleyes:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Lots and lots of us use it. It is my favorit. The leopard and sulcata I hope is not in the same enclosure. The threads at the bottom of my post will give you great info on how too raise them, healthy and smooth.

RuthJanice

5 Year Member
Southern Calif
Thanks! Just needed a little reassurance. Dont wanna loose the little guy :)

wellington said:
Lots and lots of us use it. It is my favorit. The leopard and sulcata I hope is not in the same enclosure. The threads at the bottom of my post will give you great info on how too raise them, healthy and smooth.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I tried the coir by itself many times and each time was unhappy with it. When I put in some children's playsand and not more then 20% of it being sand, I love it and so do my tortoises. It should be as safe as any other substrate, as long as you keep your animal well hydrated (which he should be on any substrate or you have a higher chance of problems).

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
I also used a mixture, but with plain dirt from my yard and the coir. The coir alone seemed to be giving my little guys some traction problems, they couldn't get a good footing in it and would just sit there spinning their tires, lol. The dirt made it much firmer, yet still loose enough to dig in. I couldn't tell you the mixture, I just kept mixing in buckets of dirt until it felt good to me, lol.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
I mix the coco fiber with the coir and have great results for burrowing. But yes, it does stick when my lil gal comes out of her pool. Doesn't bother her a bit though. I use strictly coco fiber in the basking area of my tort table simply because it's so easy to spray down and raise the humidity level when needed. It's not good to lay greens around the fiber because it sticks so easily, however if your lil guy eats it, it's totally safe and digestible.

Status
Not open for further replies.