eating habits

Status
Not open for further replies.

floridakat85

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hello all :) Just a wondering of mine, I've noticed that Karloff has started sitting in his food and shoving it off the plate into the dirt of his enclosure before eating it. Just curious if anyone knew if there was some specific reason for that or he's just playing with his food?

Attachments

• karloff.jpg
    karloff.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 22

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've always thought this was their way of insuring they get all of it and no one else can take it. If I have more than one tortoise at the feeding station, invariably one will sit on the food so the others can't get it.

Treebon

5 Year Member
Boston
My tortoise does that a lot too. Honestly I think it is because he likes watching me pick up the food after he is done making a mess.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
My tort pushes his food around, get it stuck to his tummy and walks off with it, etc. I give him a huge slate tile to help keep the substrate away from the food, but yet its still an issues every once in awhile. Putting the food in the corner helps too. I have a 12 inch square slate tile for a 4 inch tort to put it into perspective. It is tougher for them to eat in indoor captivity as the plant isn't still attached to the ground. They build up different muscles and skills to eat the cut leaves.

keiraliang

5 Year Member
Dallas, TX
yeah, My RT does that too. every time I put their food in the plate, they will run to the plate and cover it.. and then end up nobody is eating it.. looks funny. oh~ turtle....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.