Eating Dog Poop

Status
Not open for further replies.

flhxraider

5 Year Member
I have a big back yard with one Sulcata.I also have two small yorkies.I never take my dog out of my yard.Have regular vet checks.I don't pick up poop becuse they are so small,they dry perty fast and i endup moing them over.I feed my dogs strekly dog food!Never table food!So yesterday I seen my sulcata eat thair poop.I love to let my tort have the run of the hole yard.And the dogs.They all get along.What should I do now?I have a feeling a fence will be all the answers.

aktech23

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
clean up your dog poop?

does your dog take heart worm pills or any other medication?

flhxraider

5 Year Member
Yeh!I agree.No they do not take heart worm pills or any other medicatin.I really do not wont to restrict the sulcata so i will pick up there poop.I do have the dogs poop checked by vet.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Yes please don't have your torts have access to the dog poop, regardless of health. They have different natural parasites. It's a rather easy thing to avoid problems. Sulcatas get the natural urge to eat any poop they see. Their own poop is fine, but not other types.

M

Maggie Cummings

I had a really small dog for a week a while back and his poops were smaller than my cats, so I sure understand your not picking it up. When I open the do to Bob's shed and he comes out I am raking his yard trying to get up anything I don't want him eating. But it's all lawn so it's easy to rake, can you rake yours? Also Bob and I share that as a social time spent together...Bonding over poop...

flhxraider

5 Year Member
I understand.I will try to do it in the morning.my dogs go all over the place. I wish the had a spacific spot.Just becuse the back yard is so big.I really have to pick them up.They are so small.You can pass over them and not see the poop.I thank you guys for your input.I will do my best!

spring pace

5 Year Member
topanga, california
i sure hope your torts are bigger than your dogs, the chance of the dogs wanting to use a tort as a chew toy is a real possibility and can be fatal to the tort, or at very least a huge expensive vet bill. on the other side of the coin, ive seen videos of torts attacking dogs and cats and can do serious damage as well. best to keep them separated unless diligently supervised w/ NO chance of accidents. galileo & spring big smiles

flhxraider

5 Year Member
Tort and dogs same size.dogs are wimps they steer cleer of everyone.Vary happy and Frendly.Very smart dogs I could get them to cause harm.If i don't make the tort a focal point everything is fine. Dogs eat and sleep.Thanks spring pace.Don't care about bill i would not won't the tort to be hurt.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
your dogs Should be on heartgard...you dont have mosquitos and a heartworm problem where you live? Its not everywhere.. so just wondering..
since your dogs are so small, can you fence off part of the yard for them and another for the tort?

flhxraider

5 Year Member
Good question.I will look into it.We do get some mosquitos.I assume the vet checks.Have had dogs for 10 years.tort for six months.At first i did have fence for tort.Then I seen how dogs and tort got along so great.Had even a home built for tort.But tort also dug a burrough seems to really like it.so took down fence.Now the other day i see the tort eat the poop.Of corse I said crapp!I read in some post that torts like to walk alot,good to build strenght in legs not so confined.My yard has weeds in some parts and grass in others.I do like the fact that the tort can come to my door.If I fence it would have to be some ways away.The dogs can come in the home at will.I have hardly picked up the dogs poop as long as i have had them.When I mow the yard it abiterats the poop.Gone!They use to go in one spot but they got lazy.Thanks Laura PS Friend could not take care of tort anymore.had for five years,

Status
Not open for further replies.