cuttlebone

Status
Not open for further replies.

msamanda1224

5 Year Member
Hi. We have an EBT that we rescued about 7 months ago. This is our first turtle. I've seen that pretty much everyone puts cuttlebone in the tanks to prevent beak over growth. We've done this. Actually put it on both ends of the terrarium as she is in 100 gallon. Just curious how do we get her to naw on it. I just don't want her beak to get over grown.

bmt123

5 Year Member
I have a cuttlebone In my tank but my turtles have never touched it. To keep the beak trimmed I feed them on slate.

thelub

5 Year Member
Mine eats cuttlebone like its going out of style. Just leave it in there an it may get a hankerin for some cuttlebone in the future. Some days mine will eat almost an entire piece if he is given a chance, then will leave other pieces in for several days without touching it.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
I also throw in some cuttle bone. I always find little bites around the edges, so they must be eating it. If you mimic the forest floor with some leaf litter, a log, plants, and some flat pieces of slate (stone) around the enclosure, her beak and nails should be OK.

msamanda1224

5 Year Member
Thank u Yes that's pretty much how we have her terrarium set up minus the leaf litter... there's snow on the ground here so I don't have any handy lol. She has sniffed the cuttlebone but still not touched it. We saw her today though biting at a piece of flat rock we just put in.

msamanda1224

5 Year Member
Just wanted to say thanks for everyone's suggestions. We looked in her terrarium yesterday and noticed chunks missing from her cuttlebone. She must have decided to like it after all!

Status
Not open for further replies.