Eastern Box questions..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saloli

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
middle river
The cypress bark is okay as for box turtles (eastern) it is non toxic, slow to rot, and retains moisture. it is how ever very environmentally destructive. the best substrate for them i have found to be a mix of 50% coco peat (ex. eco earth) 25% wood humus (rotted wood), and leaf mold or ground up dry leaves (oak work well). by the way i have 4 adults and 2 3year olds. i used to have a breeding group. oh and hatchlings spend a large amount of time in water. as far as food for babies earth worms, meal worms, calciworms (soldier fly maggots), slugs, snails, crickets, isopods (pillbugs) they even eat millipeds though they don't normally eat fruit till they are about a year old. Some fruits that are good blue, rasp, straw, mul and black berries are good corn (raw), squash, pawpaw, viburnum, elderberries, cranberries and greenbeans. leaf veggies and flowers dandelions and plantains are also sometimes eaten. if you would like i can write a list of things i have observed captive and wild eastern box turtles eating. i'm a herpetologist by the way

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Saloli:

Welcome to the forum! May we know your name? And where is "Middle River?"

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
Saloli is one of my names it is Tsalagi (Cherokee). My Christian name is William. Middle River is in Md.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Saloli (William): So do you prefer to be called Saloli or William? Good to have you here with us. I'd love to see pictures of your turtles. Box turtles are one of my favorites.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
my avitar is Atsila Daksi (Fire Turtle). either name is fine. nice to meet you too

Status
Not open for further replies.