Not open for further replies.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
Outside or inside?
Heat emitter on one side and a 75 wt bulb on the other side
011-33.jpg

I don't use hides inside...just lots of moss or leaf litter on one side of the vivarium
015-23.jpg

Lots of plants to hold the humidity
027-15.jpg

009-33.jpg

I always add some cuttle bone
056-3.jpg

I also throw in lots of pill bugs and worms for them to find
009-32.jpg

Most of mine are outside year round and hibernate, except for some that I took in for the Winter...my old ornate, because she doesn't do well hibernating, a small Eastern that didn't gain enough weight to leave outside, and a hatchling that's too young to stay out.

outside garden
025-19.jpg

001-47.jpg

040-7.jpg

015-21.jpg

013-26.jpg

030-16.jpg

066-3.jpg

064-1.jpg

060-1.jpg

009-27.jpg

004-33.jpg

Cre8ruckas

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
sweet, right now i just have heat basking bulb, cypress mulch (Deep and wet) and a little box that it likes to burry under ... gonna add some top soil as soon as i can get some.

Sirius

5 Year Member
That looks amazing! Especially the outdoor enclosure, looks really natural.

Cre8ruckas

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
is that top soil in there with the moss and leaf littler? What kind of a 75w bulb are you using? Thanks for dealing with all my nooobeee questions lol.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
For substrate, I use regular garden soil, mixed with a little peat moss. I plant the little plants right in their pots, and then I sprinkle some cypruss mulch and leaf litter on top of that. I try to put a little ground cover like creeping jenny. The 75 wt bulb is from a pet store. I forgot the name of it...just a reptile day bulb.
You sould have seen all the questions I asked when I got my Cherry Head Tortoise.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
OK...I looked on the box. It's a 75W Sun Glo daylight bulb. It give's off heat and light. So the heat emitter is on one side and the light is on the other side. This keeps the temp. up in the 80's. Then at night I shut off the light and only have the heat emitter...which is only a 60 wt.....so the temp. goes down a few degrees. But my tank is a 40 gal. Go to this site. It's the best on IMHO on the net for raising baby boxies. There's lots of pictures too. You'll love it.

http://turtle_tails.tripod.com/raisingbabyturtles/raisingbabyturtles.htm

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
016-10.jpg

001-25.jpg

008-15.jpg

I can't believe that your hatchling eats those veggies. I always start off hatchlings with blood worms, and then graduate on to something a little bigger, then a little fruit, and then add the greens. You're lucky if he starts eating the greens now.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
terryo's enclosures always make me sad, :(

I should say the pics not the enclosures themselves

maybe a little jealous

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Aww...thank you David, but you have that nice weather and I'm stuck here in the snow, with my turtle garden buried under three feet of snow.

Cre8ruckas

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
update: I took away his hide box and added segrams (spelling) moss Now I NEVER see the little guy. I have to tear apart the whole tank just to find him under the 4in deep substrate just to feed him...ugh. lol

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
If you push all the moss to one side of the viv, and then lay a small piece of bark, or two layers of flat slate to seperate the moss pile, then you have the rest of the viv to plant and put a water dish, and he will be confined to one side when he hides, and you will be able to find him much easier. I use the bark to seperate one corner of the viv for them to hide in.

Xilonen

5 Year Member
Bellingham, WA
Cre8ruckas said:
update: I took away his hide box and added segrams (spelling) moss Now I NEVER see the little guy. I have to tear apart the whole tank just to find him under the 4in deep substrate just to feed him...ugh. lol

Crash does the same thing. Though if yours is anything like mine, he'll pick a couple favorite spots, which makes it that much easier to find him (once you figure out where they are). I've also got a healthy population of superworms that just live in the habitat. I recently found the first solid proof that she is hunting and eating them on her own, which is great. Mostly I just let her be, only taking her out every couple days for a bath. I feed her after that, but only about half the time will she actually eat then.

Status
Not open for further replies.