Earthworms

ShellyG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NE Florida
We take our 8 month old sulcata outside every day for grazing and exercise. He finds dried up dead earthworms and tries to eat them. He's small enough we can take them away, but he doesn't let go very easily! He really wants to eat them. Should we let him?

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I am not saying it should be a regular part of his diet , but I don't think an occasional "sun dried" worm will hurt him . I imagine they have the opportunity to eat much worse things in the wild ! :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with Speedy. Try to keep them away, but its not the end of the world.

What worries me more is how did the earthworms die? Why did they stay above ground in the sun? Were they poisoned? Did they encounter some lawn chemicals? For this reason, I would carefully check the outdoor enclosure every time before you put the baby tortoise out.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I agree with Speedy. Try to keep them away, but its not the end of the world.

What worries me more is how did the earthworms die? Why did they stay above ground in the sun? Were they poisoned? Did they encounter some lawn chemicals? For this reason, I would carefully check the outdoor enclosure every time before you put the baby tortoise out.
Good point Tom , if it hasn't rained there why were they above ground ? Makes me wanna say Hmm ?

ShellyG

5 Year Member
NE Florida
It has rained recently, but I haven't seen any live ones above ground lately. These were in our driveway. We don't use any chemicals on our lawn (and it shows, too, lol!), but I'm pretty sure our neighbors do. I guess we will try to find them before he does and keep taking them away from him when he does find them. Or keep him off the driveway and on the lawn! :)

Last edited:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
earthworms usually only surface to eat at night or die when it rains. and usually only sick or injured ones do so.