Dumb question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sulcataman

5 Year Member
This might sound ridiculous and a dumb question but, my new sulcata who is pretty large (200lbs) was living inside before I brought him home. Is it possible that he isn't completely liking the sweltering heat we are experiencing in PA right now? He does everything he can to get out of the sun. He uses his pool/ mud wallow a couple times a day, and then right back in the den he goes. Since it is suppose to be 105 degrees with high humidity tomorrow, should I bring him inside for the day? I know I sound like a newbie, but I have had sulcatas for over 8 years and this new guy has thrown me every curve ball possible. He is opposite of my other 2 in every way. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Once they are warm enough, they want to get out of the sun and cool off. Totally normal. A lot of the big ones get a lot less active in the heat. We are only in the 90's here and i only see mine briefly in the morning and then they disappear until around 5 pm as the sun starts to dip down a little. 105 is too hot for a core temp and your big guy is trying to manage his temp as best he can. I'm surprised he hasn't started digging. Underground is the way to go...

Sulcataman

5 Year Member
I gave him a hide with no bottom but dirt he can dig, but he doesn't use it. He's still getting used to the enclosure, and I thought the excessive heat isn't helping. He is so much more active when it's cool out. He doesn't come out until an hour before dark and he spends that time grazing. I feel like he would explore his enclosure more if it was cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.