Dumb Q About Cinder Blocks

dwright27

5 Year Member
Good afternoon everyone!

I have been so busy with school the last few months that I haven't been on the forum.

I am looking to make an outdoor pen for my redfoot, and I'm wondering about using cinder blocks. Do I need do use mortar, or is it safe to just stack them? I'm paranoid that the blocks will fall or something, even though they wouldn't be that high--I guess 3 blocks high would be enough?

Also, I live where there are birds of prey, raccoons, and coyotes. So I'm open to simple suggestions for how to cover it. I am NOT handy in any way, can't even hammer a nail straight. So the less carpentry the better, lol!

Thank you!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I use cinder blocks in my enclosures for the walls. they do fine stacked 2 high. I put pieces of rebar in the holes and then put dirt around it to make it sturdier.

dwright27

5 Year Member
Thanks! That sounds simple enough. Do you have it covered?

dwright27

5 Year Member
Your outdoor enclosures. Do you have a screen of some kind to keep animals out?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Your outdoor enclosures. Do you have a screen of some kind to keep animals out?
I see now, no I do not. We have no bird of prey in my area and raccoons are only a problem at night and they have secure lock boxes for that.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you alternate them instead of stacking them directly one on the other, it makes the fence more stable.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The cool thing about blocks is that you can first find something suitable to use for a top...like a fence gate. And then make the enclosure the size that fits the top.
I wish you luck.
My Redfoot live outdoors, but in simple wooden pens. You'd need to be able to use hand tools...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use half blocks and stagger the rows.

Start your first row with a regular block. Start your second row with a half block, and then start your third row even with the first.

3 blocks high will contain adult sulcatas in most cases, so it will for sure hold in a redfoot.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I would caution against going three high unless you have a way of locking the blocks together...either with Mortar or as stated above fill with dirt and rebar ... ..(all the way through to the ground).....a little shift can make the wall very unstable..

Texas Scott

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
TX
image.jpeg Here is mine

You can get mortor in a caulking gun tube...very easy to apply.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would caution against going three high unless you have a way of locking the blocks together...either with Mortar or as stated above fill with dirt and rebar ... ..(all the way through to the ground).....a little shift can make the wall very unstable..

In 20 years of using blocks stacked 3 high, nothing has ever made them unstable and they've never fallen over. I have several hundred feet of 3 block high enclosure walls that have been sitting where there are, in a very stable fashion, for many years, with no mortar or rebar. They run up and down hills, around corners, and in long stretches on uneven ground. They usually don't fall over even when someone bumps them with a car bumper.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
In 20 years of using blocks stacked 3 high, nothing has ever made them unstable and they've never fallen over. I have several hundred feet of 3 block high enclosure walls that have been sitting where there are, in a very stable fashion, for many years, with no mortar or rebar. They run up and down hills, around corners, and in long stretches on uneven ground. They usually don't fall over even when someone bumps them with a car bumper.

Tom....This isn't about you..I'm offering advise.. I wouldn't nor would I advise anyone to just stack cinder blocks 3 high without a way of locking the blocks together.... Blocks do shift and a cinder block can do a lot of damage.... Your way is not always the correct way Tom.... Most will agree a cemented or rebar block wall has a lot less chance of collapsing than just staggered stacking..surely even you can see that...

Why take a chance and avoid a disaster ..

dwright27

5 Year Member
Ah guys please don't get upset, I'm taking info from everywhere I can. I asked the initial question because stability is of the utmost concern. I would be devastated to lose my tortoise to a cinder block. And since I've never done this before, I just want to make it as secure as possible.
Where I live, some sinking into the ground is bound to happen.. Perhaps I'll just dig a deep enough trench to hold a whole block? I don't know.. Actually I was hoping to not have to dig much, if at all.

Reactions: Rue

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Ah guys please don't get upset, I'm taking info from everywhere I can. I asked the initial question because stability is of the utmost concern. I would be devastated to lose my tortoise to a cinder block. And since I've never done this before, I just want to make it as secure as possible.
Where I live, some sinking into the ground is bound to happen.. Perhaps I'll just dig a deep enough trench to hold a whole block? I don't know.. Actually I was hoping to not have to dig much, if at all.

I think a wooden pen is the way to go... Just build it like you would a small board fence..... Use 1x8 boards 4 high....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes, I think most would agree that cement and rebar would give it less chance of collapsing, but its not going to collapse with out cement and rebar, is my point. No need for all the extra work and expense. The time and money could be better spent on making the enclosure even larger and better instead of doing work that is totally unnecessary.

Spending the extra time, money and effort won't hurt anything, but it not needed in any way.

dwright27

5 Year Member
Tony don't poke the bear!
Tom, do you have to treat the wood with anything? Or buy pressure treated? I don't want it to rot on me. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom, do you have to treat the wood with anything? Or buy pressure treated? I don't want it to rot on me. :)

This will depend on your climate. Untreated wood will last for years here where I am, but in the south the same wood would rot away in less a than a year if left untreated.

I usually prime and paint my stuff, or use slumpstone block.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I like the stacked cement block.
If you stack them block, half block, block half block. Or a layer of block then a layer of half block,etc. as described.
If you decide on wood, for the cost, I always use and have had them last for ten years, wooden fence picket boards screwed to metal posts hammered into the ground about a foot deep.
I've enclosed a photo as an example.
Like I mentioned before. It's very cheap and easy as well as long lasting. But you will need some basic tools. You can cut down on tool time by going with six foot lengths. (The length of the boards)...Like a 12 by 18 foot pen. A 6 by 24 foot pen, etc.
I.M.O. this would be plenty strong for a Sulcata until it gets quite huge and powerful.
Fence picket lumber. Fence picket posts and a box of 1" exterior deck screws.

Attachments

• 20160311_162637.jpg
    20160311_162637.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 54
Last edited: