dry shell?

nicoleann2214

Location (City and/or State)
NY
Yeah, that's fine. Torts have an instinct to dig their own burrows, so as long as the rock is not going to shift and fall down onto the shell if there's some more digging farther back, they might enjoy that.

You can get some cheap plastic containers or bowls at the dollar store and cut doorways. As long as they are big enough to turn completely around in, those make great hide boxes (and don't cost a lot of money you will miss as the wee one grows).
Yeah she has some burrows in there but it wasn’t to deep she’s in there checking it out I’m sure if she doesn’t like it she will mess with it and I packed some under the rock so it’s safe. I have a plastic tupper ware on the cold side but she doesn’t use it to much.

nicoleann2214

NY
Yeah, that's fine. Torts have an instinct to dig their own burrows, so as long as the rock is not going to shift and fall down onto the shell if there's some more digging farther back, they might enjoy that.

You can get some cheap plastic containers or bowls at the dollar store and cut doorways. As long as they are big enough to turn completely around in, those make great hide boxes (and don't cost a lot of money you will miss as the wee one grows).
What do you suggest for the pyramiding? I have my humidity always around 86-88.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
What do you suggest for the pyramiding? I have my humidity always around 86-88.

Well I think some hides on the warm end of the enclosure will help -- it's the combination of sustained, bearable heat with the humidity that will keep the shell from hardening too fast. It is too hot under a bare bulb to sit for long. The hide boxes will give shade that makes the heat bearable and useful. Babies need to hide all day long to keep their stress hormones at Baseline levels, so there cannot be too many hide boxes all along the heat gradient.

nicoleann2214

NY
Well I think some hides on the warm end of the enclosure will help -- it's the combination of sustained, bearable heat with the humidity that will keep the shell from hardening too fast. It is too hot under a bare bulb to sit for long. The hide boxes will give shade that makes the heat bearable and useful. Babies need to hide all day long to keep their stress hormones at Baseline levels, so there cannot be too many hide boxes all along the heat gradient.
Okay thank you so much. I will see if this helps!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Two things:
1. What is ambient temp during the day time?
2. What type of water are you using to spray the shell with 7 times a day?

nicoleann2214

NY
Two things:
1. What is ambient temp during the day time?
2. What type of water are you using to spray the shell with 7 times a day?
That is also the water I use to soak her with everyday.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
88 is ambient and tap water.
88 is pretty good. Try raising it a little more during the day into the low 90s. This should discourage basking. You can also use a lower wattage basking bulb with the warmer ambient.

For shell spraying and for a rinse after soaking, use collected rainwater, RO water, or distilled water. This will eliminate the hard water stains. For soaking and drinking water, keep using the tap. The current hardware stains will fade away in time if you do nothing.

nicoleann2214

NY
88 is pretty good. Try raising it a little more during the day into the low 90s. This should discourage basking. You can also use a lower wattage basking bulb with the warmer ambient.

For shell spraying and for a rinse after soaking, use collected rainwater, RO water, or distilled water. This will eliminate the hard water stains. For soaking and drinking water, keep using the tap. The current hardware stains will fade away in time if you do nothing.
Okay thanks, do you have any more ideas for raising the humidity and stopping the pyramiding she has going on a little bit? My humidity stays around 86.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Okay thanks, do you have any more ideas for raising the humidity and stopping the pyramiding she has going on a little bit? My humidity stays around 86.
86% humidity should be fine. To increase it, add moisture and reduce ventilation, but I don't think you need to. Reducing basking time and reducing bulb wattage will likely yield better results than adding a few more percentage points of humidity.

nicoleann2214

NY
86% humidity should be fine. To increase it, add moisture and reduce ventilation, but I don't think you need to. Reducing basking time and reducing bulb wattage will likely yield better results than adding a few more percentage points of humidity.
Okay thanks Tom as always !

nicoleann2214

NY
update; Shell is looking better and I’m using distilled for sprays. Also @ZenHerper shes been digging all day and I caught her chilling under the rock hide I made. Definitely a good fix.

Attachments

• 9B9599B9-53AD-4DAF-93EA-81A217C49092.jpeg
    9B9599B9-53AD-4DAF-93EA-81A217C49092.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 26

Axle's Mom

New Mexico
alright so I noticed her shell looks like this after I’m done soaking? And in general? Humidity is always around 86-88 and temps are 88 ambient and at night I put it down to 80-86. Any ideas?
Also I spray her shell daily.

@Yvonne G @Chubbs the tegu @Tom
Those are growth lines. Please don’t try to scrub them off, as they can be sensitive. Your tortoise will always have those while still growing. They do not indicate a dry shell. Your sully looks lovely and well cared for.

Axle's Mom

New Mexico
These are growth lines. Please do not try to scrub them off, as they can be sensitive. Your tortoise will have these as long as he/she is still growing. It is not hard water (or the entire shell would show staining, not just uniform lines around the scutes). You sully looks healthy and hydrated.

Attachments

• F8D00ED1-E176-4CEE-8D5D-A0B7BBC3958D.png
    F8D00ED1-E176-4CEE-8D5D-A0B7BBC3958D.png
    225.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 70C15E7F-6CEF-4114-9239-B544DF1AEC27.png
    70C15E7F-6CEF-4114-9239-B544DF1AEC27.png
    166.9 KB · Views: 8

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
alright so I noticed her shell looks like this after I’m done soaking? And in general? Humidity is always around 86-88 and temps are 88 ambient and at night I put it down to 80-86. Any ideas?
Also I spray her shell daily.

@Yvonne G @Chubbs the tegu @Tom
I might get jumped on for saying it but,
You can apply a little organic coconut oil to the Shell from time to time. Rub it on then wipe it off with a towel.

nicoleann2214

NY
These are growth lines. Please do not try to scrub them off, as they can be sensitive. Your tortoise will have these as long as he/she is still growing. It is not hard water (or the entire shell would show staining, not just uniform lines around the scutes). You sully looks healthy and hydrated.
Okay they almost look like they’ll peel off I think it’s hard water stain