Dr Barbara Bonner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Belchertown Ma
I don't know why I never thought of asking here when I first joined. Does anyone hear have any idea who she is (was)?
If not, no big deal she was a tort person like no one I ever knew. I was just hoping to hear someone else had known about her. Her life was only torts.
Na

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
She passed away several years ago. I used to belong to Turtle Homes, and I adopted all her box turtles through them after she died.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
OMG Yvonne, I knew Barbara before she even considered being a vet. My first meeting with her was when she came into where I was working, (she knew that vet) and had stopped on the side of the rode and felt inside a dead opossum for babys. She said they won't make it and would feed them to her venus fly trap plants. I often wondered about her death. I attended many of her tort labs posing as a Dr(OK by her) She had over 400 torts.
Many of the things she did for torts were 'how do you say' riscay'
NA

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I met her at a symposium (sp?) in California. She had come in and was going to stay in the college dorm rooms (where I was since they were cheap), but instead moved into the motel (where the action was). She and I spent several hours talking about our experiences with the shells, especially the Cura galbinifrons (the Flower box turtle). She had a rather rough life and unfortunately she died way too young.

She gave a talk at that meeting on how she had worked out flavoring the worm meds to help get the turtles to swallow it.

She impressed me, with her staying and talking with me, even tho I was this shy nobody. I have very fond memories of my time with her.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
The Asian Turtle Consortium has given an annual award (The Bonner Award) since 2003 (my good friend Dennis won the first one :D). They did this in honor of all the great work she did with Asian turtles. They give the award at the National Breeders Expo in Daytona Beach during the turtle talks on friday night. They give it to a person that has done great things with Asian turtles and tortoises.
http://www.asianturtle.org/

Danny

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
I was so happy to see things have been done to keep her memory alive. She was such a wonderful, dedicated soul. I can't for the life of me think of why I didn't ask this 2 years ago. She was instrumental in changing the whole protocol for what they did to the animals (particularly cows) in the surgery rotation at Tufts. I'm proud to say I housed the first 'saved' cow from that whole movement,and they honored me by naming her Nadine. I have a wonderfully done thank you hanging on my wall for that. Thanks for responding, she certainly did die way too young.
Na

Status
Not open for further replies.