Dont know species so I posted here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thalatte

5 Year Member
It is now warm enough that he is in an 6x3 ft pen in the backyard during he day and I bring him in at night.
Also he is a Butthead. He is very territorial and will ram any animal that eats too close including the dogs. So he no longer gets roaming time in the large pen and has to be seperated at all times.

Thalatte

5 Year Member
They usually are. I have smaller seperate enclosures (smallest is 2x8, largest 6x8 ) connected to a large communal exercise yard (1/4 of an acre I think) that they can all be in when i am home. It worked with tank and Dozer and all other torts/turtles I had before but it is getting harder now that they are all bigger. I will be redoing the entire yard and enclosures in the next few months so the two sonorans have their own enclosures and the sulcatas will be in one for now. This will lead enough room to have a fairly good sized garden area for fresh foods and this area will also be for exercising the turtles.
I think this will last for 2years before I redo everything yet again.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I would reconsider the use solely of sand for the substrate, such an increase risk of an impaction issue.

I think I may be reading your post incorrectly? Are you allowing your desert torts to share the same roaming space as your other tort species?? I hope I am mis understanding you---this is such a huge risk factor for them to cross contaminate one another....

Territorial; desert torts are EXTREMELY "territorial" and will fight one another (as well as any other species, regardless of size) until they sustain horrible damage and or die.....please keep this in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.