dome lamps

betturbutter

5 Year Member
I read that i need a specific lamp for a che and and for a basking bulb. If this is the case which kind of dome lamp can i use a ceramic heat emitter with? which kind of dome lamp can i use a basking bulb with? Can you tell me which brand to buy please.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Go to Home Depot and buy the ceramic based ones. They have an 11" aluminum dome and a heavy duty cord. These will run any kind of screw in reptile bulb or heating element you buy. Good for CHE's, MVBs or regular flood bulbs. They only cost about $12. Take the clamp off and throw it away. Mount them by hanging them by the cord or attaching some small linked chain to the hood.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Yes, and Walmart carries them too I think. For like $10 or $11, something like that.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
The ones at Wal-Mart are not ceramic based but work fairly well as long as the bulb is not too high of a wattage. I wouldn't use it for a CHE though.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Walmart sells both. A $6 plastic base one. Works for lower wattage bulbs fine. And a $11 one with a ceramic base for the CHE.

I have purchased my domes from Walmart and Home Depot.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
After years of having them fail, I won't use the plastic fixtures for anything. They end up shorting out and sometimes visibly arcing and/or smoking even with low wattage bulbs. They are not made to be on all day everyday. Just not worth the risk for me.

betturbutter

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Go to Home Depot and buy the ceramic based ones. They have an 11" aluminum dome and a heavy duty cord. These will run any kind of screw in reptile bulb or heating element you buy. Good for CHE's, MVBs or regular flood bulbs. They only cost about $12. Take the clamp off and throw it away. Mount them by hanging them by the cord or attaching some small linked chain to the hood.

Is a wider dome better than a smaller dome?

Team Gomberg said:
Hmmm. Had them fail even with low wattage huh?

A few bucks more for ceramic based doesn't sound too bad...

I think i'm going to buy a ceramic one. I don't want to take my chances with a plastic one.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Walmart, at least some of them, certainly do sell the ceramic based heat domes. They are the large, silver domed ones with a ceramic base. Been keeping reptiles for almost 20 years and always bought them, so....

I will say, I have been to some Walmarts that do not carry any kind of lamps at all. But the one by me carries both the plastic and the ceramic ones.