Dogs and Tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

wickella

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hello all!

Just joined today, and today I just brought home my Russian Tortoise rescue. She's estimated about 2 years old and she's very sweet. :)

However, I have 2 shih tzus. My female shih tzu couldn't care less about the new addition to the family. However, my male shih tzu looks pretty obsessed. It hasn't even been 2 hours, but he just stays by her tank and tries to look in. I don't want to stress her out! I have her 40 breeder on a coffee table and there's no way he can possibly get in.

Any suggestions on how I can them well adjusted to each other?

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Don't EVER trust the dogs alone with the tortoise. I rehab turtles & tortoises. The number one cause for rehabbing is hit-by-car, the 2nd is chewed-by-dog. Dogs think turtles & torts are toys.

So your tort doesn't stress, put a solid barrier, like newspaper or PetSmart has aquarium/terrarium scenery backing. Cut it to about 6" tall and tape it so she can't see the dogs.

Are you planning to make an outdoor enclosure so she can get some real sun and eat some grass? Do not put her out in her tank. It amplifies the heat & she will cook.

Is she healthy, or do you have to have her under vet care?

Good luck
Patsy

wickella

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
K9KidsLove said:
Don't EVER trust the dogs alone with the tortoise. I rehab turtles & tortoises. The number one cause for rehabbing is hit-by-car, the 2nd is chewed-by-dog. Dogs think turtles & torts are toys.

So your tort doesn't stress, put a solid barrier, like newspaper or PetSmart has aquarium/terrarium scenery backing. Cut it to about 6" tall and tape it so she can't see the dogs.

Are you planning to make an outdoor enclosure so she can get some real sun and eat some grass? Do not put her out in her tank. It amplifies the heat & she will cook.

Is she healthy, or do you have to have her under vet care?

Good luck
Patsy

Thanks for the reply Patsy!

Yes, I will never trust them alone. The tank is only temporary, as I plan to build her a tortoise table here in the near future. I also plan on taking her outside once the weather clears up. :)

She is healthy and is eating just fine. I will definately take your advice on the aquarium backing. Great idea!

Thanks again!

jasso2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
yea its not a good idea. i have my dog outside with all tortoises (19) and he only looks at them. but he's seen tortoises for years and is ever well behaved, does bark or attack them. not all dogs are like that, but you really never know when a dog is gonna flip.

[email protected]

10 Year Member!
Our 2 beagles have been around our turtles and tortoises since they were puppies. They could care less about the turtles. Our sulcata is about 70lbs and the dogs try to stay out of his way!

Jenn1

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fernley Nevada
I thought my dogs would never harm my torts.Well I was so wrong.
I hadent finished the top of one of my tort tables.I just had it half covered.
Well I went to the store and when I got back,my big dog jumped in the table and got 2 of my rt's.I knew right away from the mess, and ran out the back door and one of my torts was in her mouth.She got chewed up bad and still alive.The other tort,she ate.All I could find was blood.
The tort that was in her mouth (Wyatt) is still with us.I had just got them as rescues,and they had worms.Its been almost a year now and she still has worms and health problums.I give her meds for the worm,but we can only keep them down to a minimum.I have spent lots of money at the vet.
Sorry for the story,but some people just dont reliese how much they can really trust there dogs.
Heres a pic of when it happened and a pic of her now.
Oh, my son named her Lucky Wyatt.
indexCA3P3D3N.pngindexCAZGS2LJ.pngindexCAJYUO8K.pngindexCA44KBNY.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Jenn1

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Fernley Nevada
One more of her, being a piggy,
100_221411.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Welcome to the forum wickella :D

Jenn, sorry to hear about the tort that could not do it :(.
I really like the pic of your tort being a piggy, she is sooo cute.

Isa

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I have been really lucky (*knocks on my wooden head*) that I have not had a problem with any of my dogs. Does that mean I trust them? Not in the least. I know that there is always a chance some day, some time, one of the dogs could see a shelled creature and decided, "playtime!" or worse, "lunch time!". I just try to make sure that there is something solid between the two opposing sides.

My step son did have a black lab mix over for awhile, that one day had a turtle in his mouth. It was some wild Ornate, that got into the dog yard. Not sure if he would have hurt it, but lucky for the turtle at that point he had only held it softly in his mouth. Yes, the turtle was unharmed and set on his wild way.

We also use to have a very aged collie, who one day decide to use some old snapper shells we had for decoration by a small pool, as dog chews. An ex-uncle-in-law hunted and ate snappers. One time over there I saw two beautiful shells from turtles he had taken. (I know sorta gross). I thought the shells were pretty and didn't want them to just be trash so I took them. Now those shells sat by that pool for two or three years, before Lassie (a rehomed prenamed dog) went for them. She didn't just chew the shells, she chewed and ate till both were completely gone. This dog at that time was over 12 yrs, never would hurt a fly, and never chewed anything before or after those shells

As for your question, I think letting your dog investigate is helpful. Let him see what has his "Mom's" attention. Hold the tortoise in your hand and let him smell it. If he makes any move to actually lick, paw, ect.., the tort, let him know that is not acceptable. Same with if he tries to get into, onto, open up, or anything else the tort's home. It's a look and smell, but no touching situation. Give the dog encouragement and praise.
Give them some extra time with you. They might be feeling a little jealous and neglected right about now...even if they really aren't. Also do this with both the dogs.

Good luck with your new member!

Status
Not open for further replies.