Doesn't sound good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
depending on the damage to the shell they sometimes use fiberglass to help it heal, but It is hard to say, it all depends on the damage done.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Good luck to her and the tortoise. I only wish she lived closer. Maybe someone on here will be able to help out.

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
I've seen them fiberglassed,but I would assume if the damage is bad enough,you'ld have to do the right thing.

I was just looking around the Arizona CL (I'm bored) and couldn't believe some of the Sulcata,both good and bad looking when I saw this.I understand people hurting for funds,but jesus H,there has to be someplace out there that would take this tortoise and try to get him patched up.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Fiberglass repairs are old school. You usually seal in any bad micro organisms when you use fiberglass and the risk of infection is pretty high. If there's enough shell left to fix, they might wire it back together. Sometimes, if the inner membrane is ok, you can just remove any loose pieces and let the rest be. Antibiotics and tender-loving care. You'd be surprised how hardy they are. I have received rescued box turtles and rescued water turtles that had absolutely no vet care and terrible wounds. Animal came out just fine.

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
I'm a big fan of "Old School" on a lot of things, but I hear ya on the fiberglass.I've seen some boxies in a bad way,and they've pulled thru...amazing animals.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Someone turned in a pond turtle (actinemys marmorata) that they found wandering around in the road up in the foot hills. They didn't know it was illegal to pick it up, or that the turtle was in her own natural environment. She had a healed spot on her carapace the size of a quarter. It was obvious that it had once been a hole right into her insides. And this is a water turtle. Can you imagine all the dirt, debris and gunky water that came into contact with the interior of that turtle? And the spot was healed! She was fine.

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
Amazing how nature works like that..I've seen a few hit by mowers that looked like they where all done, but they've made it....Now I'm curious to see what Dr. T would use to treat this tort.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm curious to see some pictures of his "13 acres of heaven."

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
Does he take emergency calls?..could always wake him up and tell him to post those pics.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
LOL! We have our own little "chat" thing goin' on here.

Gotta' go. Its this old lady's bed time!

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
Good Morning!

I usually try to leave shell damage alone to heal on its own as much as possible especially if it's just around the edges. for large cracks extending over the top of the carapace or between the carapace and plastron , I will sometimes place small screws and cerclage wires to support the shell temporarily until it can partially heal. Hydrotherapy seems to be the key to getting these guys to heal for me, we flush the shells with gentle running water several times daily until we have a good granulation tissue bed and then they tend to heal rapidly after that. that's over simplifying the treatment but basic guidelines.

Have an interesting on-going case..50-60lb male Sulcatta, attacked by dogs..minor shell damage along the edges but they chewed off the rear legs at the ankle joints. Owner initially thought he were going to have to have him put down. Though sad, the wounds were very clean and little bleeding. Showed them how to hydro, apply silvadene to the wounds and give the meds. I'm confident this torty will heal fine and will be able to lead a somewhat normal life if the owner does the proper initial care...hydroing daily, keeping the enclosure bare, spotless, and proper temps/humidity, applying meds and being patient with regular follow-ups to head off problems.

Will keep you posted.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It IS interesting that when a dog chews off a tortoise's limb it is usually a nice, clean wound. We had a desert tortoise like that too.

Thanks for the tip on the hydro. I'll add that to my bag of tricks.

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
I'm like the mayor of simpleton, so that explanation is perfect...I'm guessing you're apposed to posting pics at 2:30 am Doc?

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
Not unwilling to post, just want to get the owner's permission first, hopefully pics forthcoming.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Could we perhaps have a bit more detail on just how they are suppose to be doing the hydroing daily?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It sounded to me like you just run the water from the faucet over the injury.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
It really is just that simple. I know, some are going to bring up the fact that tap water is not sterile and you are right, but when dealing with contaminated wounds it is good enough to remove contamination and dilute higher concentrations of bacteria and with the use of antibiotics you can work wonders. Will be at that practice tomorrow and will be able to call and see how he is doing and get permission to post the pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.