Does this look right?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry, way too small for a Russian. In the wild they cover a lot of ground. He needs at the minimum a 4x6. A clay saucer water dish is safer then the one you have and some plants for cover. The largest plastic totes work good and you can cut holes in them and add more then one together to make a bigger enclosure. What type of lighting are you using, no coil bulbs right? They cause eye damage.

Sorry, way too small for a Russian. In the wild they cover a lot of ground. He needs at the minimum a 4x6. A clay saucer water dish is safer then the one you have and some plants for cover. The largest plastic totes work good and you can cut holes in them and add more then one together to make a bigger enclosure. What type of lighting are you using, no coil bulbs right? They cause eye damage.

I got her from pet co and they said the tank would be a good size for her now but as she grows will need a bigger one. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439643666.575035.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439643684.154859.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439643703.137282.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439643729.573483.jpg

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
I got her from pet co and they said the tank would be a good size for her now but as she grows will need a bigger one. View attachment 143788View attachment 143789View attachment 143790View attachment 143791
Petco and other pet stores tend to not know what they're talking about. They're just trying to push a sale.
I think the ReptiSun bulb is okay, but I'm not 100% positive. It's not quite a coil, but I'm hoping someone will say if it has the same damaging properties as the coil bulbs.
If you have the CHE (ceramic heat emitter) you don't need the moon bulb. It's actually better to not use a colored bulb at all. So just use the CHE at night.
Do you have a UVA bulb for the day?
That tank is too small, as the first commenter said. Change out the water bowl for the terra cotta plant dish. A closed chamber tortoise table is best as an indoor enclosure. After she/he reaches adulthood (or at least big juvenile) you will want to have them outside, weather permitting.
I will attach examples of good closed chamber tables.
Some of these example photos do not have a cover, or have a wire/mesh cover. All you would need to do to make one of these examples a closed chamber is to put a piece of plexiglass or board over most of the opening so that the heat and humidity are trapped inside. If you do so, you will need to make sure the lights still shine down into the enclosure without the board or plexiglass blocking it at all. UVB cannot travel through glass or mesh.
Keep the humidity nice and high along with heat.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439644473.749471.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439644550.297632.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439644569.067682.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439644583.096547.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439644600.595327.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439644620.413865.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439644638.154402.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439644681.780022.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439644705.771393.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439644760.804411.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439644788.295221.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439644815.851690.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439644842.909869.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439644869.154569.jpg

Petco and other pet stores tend to not know what they're talking about. They're just trying to push a sale.
I think the ReptiSun bulb is okay, but I'm not 100% positive. It's not quite a coil, but I'm hoping someone will say if it has the same damaging properties as the coil bulbs.
If you have the CHE (ceramic heat emitter) you don't need the moon bulb. It's actually better to not use a colored bulb at all. So just use the CHE at night.
Do you have a UVA bulb for the day?
That tank is too small, as the first commenter said. Change out the water bowl for the terra cotta plant dish. A closed chamber tortoise table is best as an indoor enclosure. After she/he reaches adulthood (or at least big juvenile) you will want to have them outside, weather permitting.
I will attach examples of good closed chamber tables.
Some of these example photos do not have a cover, or have a wire/mesh cover. All you would need to do to make one of these examples a closed chamber is to put a piece of plexiglass or board over most of the opening so that the heat and humidity are trapped inside. If you do so, you will need to make sure the lights still shine down into the enclosure without the board or plexiglass blocking it at all. UVB cannot travel through glass or mesh.
Keep the humidity nice and high along with heat.
View attachment 143793
View attachment 143795
View attachment 143796
View attachment 143797
View attachment 143798
View attachment 143799View attachment 143800
View attachment 143801
View attachment 143802
View attachment 143803
View attachment 143804
View attachment 143805
View attachment 143806
View attachment 143807

Thank you so much very help full I am using a UVB not a UVA

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
The Reptisun bulb you have there is NOT safe. It is coil style and will damage your tort's eyes. You need either a mercury vapor bulb (provides heat and UV in one bulb) or a tube style UV bulb. The moonlight bulb you have...what does it look like when it is on? Torts need darkness to sleep, so if it lights up blue or puts off any light at night then don't use it. Please click on the following link and read the care sheets for further info on Russians: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/forums/russian-tortoises.81/

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You have gotten all the typical bad pet store advice. Glad you found us!
1. Do not use the reptisun. Those can sometimes burn their eyes. Put your tortoise outside in a large safe enclosure a few times a week for real sunshine to meet its UV needs.
2. Your tortoise does not need the moon glow bulb or any other night heat. Colored bulbs are not good to use.
3. You do not need the ceramic heat emitter for a russian.
4. Your tortoise needs a regular white "day light" bulb for basking during the day. I use 65 watt flood bulbs from the hardware store. Raise or lower the fixture to get the correct temperature.
5. You do not need that double dome. Get a single dome, ceramic based fixture from Home Depot for about $12. Get a digital timer while you are there to run your bulb for about 13 hours a day most of the year.
6. Gotta remove that water bowl ASAP. They can flip and drown in those.
7. That tank is way too small. I recommend 4x8' as a minimum. At the very least you need a large kiddie pool, a stock tank, or something homemade.
8. You need about 5 times that amount of substrate. You can get a giant bag at a garden center for less money than you paid for that tiny bag at the pet store. Looks like the type of substrate was the only thing the pet store got right, they just didn't sell you enough of it.
9. Your tortoise needs a humid hide. I use upside down dish washing tubs from Walmart with a door hole cut out.

You need to get the right stuff, set it all up and move your tortoise in, and then take all this crap back to the store that sold it to you. Explain to the employee and manager WHY you are returning it and WHY none of it is suitable for the animal they sold you. If enough people do this, they will have to either clue in and start getting it right, or go out of business.

Here is the right care info:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

You have gotten all the typical bad pet store advice. Glad you found us!
1. Do not use the reptisun. Those can sometimes burn their eyes. Put your tortoise outside in a large safe enclosure a few times a week for real sunshine to meet its UV needs.
2. Your tortoise does not need the moon glow bulb or any other night heat. Colored bulbs are not good to use.
3. You do not need the ceramic heat emitter for a russian.
4. Your tortoise needs a regular white "day light" bulb for basking during the day. I use 65 watt flood bulbs from the hardware store. Raise or lower the fixture to get the correct temperature.
5. You do not need that double dome. Get a single dome, ceramic based fixture from Home Depot for about $12. Get a digital timer while you are there to run your bulb for about 13 hours a day most of the year.
6. Gotta remove that water bowl ASAP. They can flip and drown in those.
7. That tank is way too small. I recommend 4x8' as a minimum. At the very least you need a large kiddie pool, a stock tank, or something homemade.
8. You need about 5 times that amount of substrate. You can get a giant bag at a garden center for less money than you paid for that tiny bag at the pet store. Looks like the type of substrate was the only thing the pet store got right, they just didn't sell you enough of it.
9. Your tortoise needs a humid hide. I use upside down dish washing tubs from Walmart with a door hole cut out.

You need to get the right stuff, set it all up and move your tortoise in, and then take all this crap back to the store that sold it to you. Explain to the employee and manager WHY you are returning it and WHY none of it is suitable for the animal they sold you. If enough people do this, they will have to either clue in and start getting it right, or go out of business.

Here is the right care info:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

Oh my gosh thank you so much.