Does this little guy look ok?

AlishaT

5 Year Member
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=27102966&cat=110&lpid=23&search=&ad_cid=11

I'm not sure if this link works because I am really not very computer literate but I wanted the opinion as to the shape of this little guy. I was looking thought that I would look for reptile cages and equipment for things for Walter. I came upon this ad and since I have been contemplating getting a Sulcutta and he caught my eye. Maybe it's just me but I feel kind of sorry for him. I just wanted the opinion of the experts here as to his condition as far as you can see.

AlishaT said:
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=27102966&cat=110&lpid=23&search=&ad_cid=11

I'm not sure if this link works because I am really not very computer literate but I wanted the opinion as to the shape of this little guy. I was looking thought that I would look for reptile cages and equipment for things for Walter. I came upon this ad and since I have been contemplating getting a Sulcutta and he caught my eye. Maybe it's just me but I feel kind of sorry for him. I just wanted the opinion of the experts here as to his condition as far as you can see.

Ugh, I think I just double posted this. Also I hope I didn't just break any rules here.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Oh NO!!! Alisha just broke the rules. Quick, someone call the posting police!!!! :p

The little tortoise looks ok. If you are interested, I'd try to talk him out of selling the tortoise with the aquarium. You'd be better off setting it up in a large plastic bin.

Because of the nice variety of weeds and grasses in the feeding tray, I think this little guy has been given pretty good care. The only thing is the wood flakes substrate. That is dry, and if you've been reading here for a while you know that we like a moist substrate for baby sulcatas.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I suggest that you read Tom's threads on raising sulcata babies. He'll probably chime in soon to give you the threads you need to read. In the meantime, the pics are 't very clear, but there may be a slight raising of the scutes on his shell which is called pyramiding. To avoid further pyramiding, you need to keep his enclosure humid and warm. Humidity should be 80 % and the temps should range between 80 degrees as the coolest, and 100-105 basking spot. Again, Tom's threads will give more information on temps. What I see for now is that you have this baby in an open top screen which would allow all the heat and humidity to quickly escape. Also, what kind of bulb are you using? Do not use a coil bulb for UVb because it has been known to injure torts eyes. Welcome to the forum:)

AlishaT

5 Year Member
Yay my link worked!!!! If the forum police come to take me away will someone please care for Walter while I'm gone?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He does look a bit unusually high domed in those pics too.

AlishaT

5 Year Member
sibi said:
I suggest that you read Tom's threads on raising sulcata babies. He'll pro ably chime in soon to give you the threads you need to read. In the meantime, the pics are t very clear, buy their may be a slight raising of the scutes on his shell which is called pyramiding. To avoid furthing pyramiding, you need to keep his enclosure humid and warm. Humidity should be 80 % and the temps should ra ge between 80 degrees as the coolest, a d 100-105 basking spot. Again, To.'s threads will give more information on temps. What I see for now is that you have this baby in an open top screen which would allow all the heat and humidity to quickly escape. Also, what kind of bulb are you using? Do not use a coil bulb for UVb because it has been known to injure torts eyes. Welcome to the forum:)

Oh, this is an advertisement I was concerned about. I wouldn't use this kind of set up, I know it's all wrong.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
He is cute, he seems to be getting proper food. But conditions in his tank are not proper. He is being raised dry. If you get him you have to make changes. Make sure you ask what it is exactly they are feeding, and what else they are doing for care and if there is any kind of guarantee. Get it in writing...