Does hiding count?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Houston, Texas
Every day I try to take my little leopard Elias out for some fun in the sun, but he always ends up hiding! He'll rummage about and maul every nearest clover for about ten minutes, then find his way into the hide and go to sleep.. Should I leave him there, so when he wakes up he can start the grazing process over? I try to give him 30 minutes of sun every day, but he keeps hiding, and I'm not sure if that counts towards his absorption time...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes it counts. He will still get the uv, as the sun bounces off of all kinds of things. I would leave him be incase he wants to come out again. I would also leave him out longer if possible. Mine is 15 months and he goes out at approx. 8 a.m. And comes back in at 7-8p.m. If the temps are warm enough and he has shade shelter and predator protection, there is no reason he can't be out longer.

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
wellington said:
Yes it counts. He will still get the uv, as the sun bounces off of all kinds of things. I would leave him be incase he wants to come out again. I would also leave him out longer if possible. Mine is 15 months and he goes out at approx. 8 a.m. And comes back in at 7-8p.m. If the temps are warm enough and he has shade shelter and predator protection, there is no reason he can't be out longer.

I was worried about the humidity level, the little guy is only 1 month, I guess I just don't know much when it comes to the tortoise being so tiny...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hot and humid is good. Cold, wet and humid is bad. Have you read the threads at the bottom of my post. They are all good for leopards. High humidity with high temps makes for a smooth shell. Check them out if you haven't.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I think caution with one still so young is a good idea. Take him out in the cooler hours of the day.(morning and/or evening)I spray down the pen for my youngest before I put them in.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
yagyujubei said:
I think caution with one still so young is a good idea. Take him out in the cooler hours of the day.(morning and/or evening)I spray down the pen for my youngest before I put them in.

Why would you want to wait for the cooler hours? How cool are you talking. Wet and cold don't mix. If they can get out of the heat with shade, 80 and above to 95-100 shouldn't be a problem as long as you have shaded shelter, plants etc. for shading, cooler areas.Those are the correct inside temps. I do also spray the area before putting him in as long as the temps are 80 and above. Below 80 I won't spray.

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
wellington said:
Why would you want to wait for the cooler hours? How cool are you talking. Wet and cold don't mix. If they can get out of the heat with shade, 80 and above to 95-100 shouldn't be a problem as long as you have shaded shelter, plants etc. for shading, cooler areas.Those are the correct inside temps. I do also spray the area before putting him in as long as the temps are 80 and above. Below 80 I won't spray.

Wellington, I've followed your posts in your signature as if they were the bible for this baby! Lol! He is doing good, gaining weight like a champ and being really active, but I still can't help but worry a bit. ;) as you see, a lot of people have mixed advice.. A person on here got a bit testy with me because I said I keep the temps 80 and above at all times, but I really feel like it has helped him out a lot! I barely avoided an RI with the little guy thanks to the advice in your signature.. So I will keep him out for as long as possible, spray a bit (the days have been 80+ pretty much every day :)) and let him enjoy himself in his clover patch! :D thank you!

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
He will be fine in the high 90's and low 100's as long as you are keeping it wet and he has shade to go to. All of mine are being kept outside 24/7 and its been above 110 regularly for the past couple weeks. I literally make it a swamp in their enclosures. If I were you I would make a predator proof enclosure for Elias assuming you cant stay with him in the backyard for hours on end.

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Eweezyfosheezy said:
He will be fine in the high 90's and low 100's as long as you are keeping it wet and he has shade to go to. All of mine are being kept outside 24/7 and its been above 110 regularly for the past couple weeks. I literally make it a swamp in their enclosures. If I were you I would make a predator proof enclosure for Elias assuming you cant stay with him in the backyard for hours on end.

The enclosure I have set up is predator proof, it's actually just the top of a 3'x3' rabbit cage staked into the ground to keep anything from trying to lift it up. she has a humid hide, and a few plants in there to make sure he can get to shade whenever he likes :) I was just curious if they got the uv rays even when they're in their hide, or in the shade..

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Yeah she'll get enough uv rays. If you think about it how many times would a baby come out of cover if it was in the wild? Not that much or there would be a lot less tortoises in the world. She'll be fine. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I know what you mean. If not for Tom and others on this forum, my leopard would be more pyramided then he is, bad breeder advice. I also understand about the worrying. Been there and still doing it. I'm not sure it goes away as they get older. Sounds like your doing a great job. Keep it up and ignore the ones that don't agree with Tom's way. If it works, why change it, and it works.:D

KimandKarasi said:
wellington said:

Wellington, I've followed your posts in your signature as if they were the bible for this baby! Lol! He is doing good, gaining weight like a champ and being really active, but I still can't help but worry a bit. ;) as you see, a lot of people have mixed advice.. A person on here got a bit testy with me because I said I keep the temps 80 and above at all times, but I really feel like it has helped him out a lot! I barely avoided an RI with the little guy thanks to the advice in your signature.. So I will keep him out for as long as possible, spray a bit (the days have been 80+ pretty much every day :)) and let him enjoy himself in his clover patch! :D thank you!

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Well,since you think I'm stupid, I will explain it. I'm typing slowly so you will understand. This 4 week old tortoise lives in Houston, Tx., not Chicago. Right now, their temperatures are running 78-80 for a low, and above 100 for highs. What I was telling them is that I don't think it's a good idea to subject one so young to a sunny 100 degree environment. If you think that 80 and sunny is cold, then so be it.
wellington said:
yagyujubei said:

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
When my babies are crazy and avoid the sun like a leper colony; I usually have to write down how much sun they did get over-all in the week. That way I know what to set the Bulbs, Heat pads,etc... My little girl is extremely active after a 30 minute soak; and is ravenous. So she gets all her food and a few butter-worms in case she 'wants' them. I've noticed that anything 2 years of age or less; have their carnivorous appetite [still]... But after that; they completely ignore that type of protein, and forever love their Mazuri... yay... And as far as UV goes, well if Elias is hiding in brush that is still getting Sun then you are fine. That's probably how 'weak' or 'strong' she wants the sun beaming on her. I have one Red-Foot who adores heat; but hates' white/blue bulbs so I have to use red with her. They are all different silly Torts.. :)

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
tyrs4u said:
When my babies are crazy and avoid the sun like a leper colony; I usually have to write down how much sun they did get over-all in the week. That way I know what to set the Bulbs, Heat pads,etc... My little girl is extremely active after a 30 minute soak; and is ravenous. So she gets all her food and a few butter-worms in case she 'wants' them. I've noticed that anything 2 years of age or less; have their carnivorous appetite [still]... But after that; they completely ignore that type of protein, and forever love their Mazuri... yay... And as far as UV goes, well if Elias is hiding in brush that is still getting Sun then you are fine. That's probably how 'weak' or 'strong' she wants the sun beaming on her. I have one Red-Foot who adores heat; but hates' white/blue bulbs so I have to use red with her. They are all different silly Torts.. :)

Butter worms? I actually didn't realize they were supposed to have protein! :( and yes, the differences in their personalities are so fun to notice! Lol!

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Your little tort is just hiding because thats what they do to stay alive in the wild. Birds and all sorts of other creatures will swoop on them.:D

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
yagyujubei said:
Well,since you think I'm stupid, I will explain it. I'm typing slowly so you will understand. This 4 week old tortoise lives in Houston, Tx., not Chicago. Right now, their temperatures are running 78-80 for a low, and above 100 for highs. What I was telling them is that I don't think it's a good idea to subject one so young to a sunny 100 degree environment. If you think that 80 and sunny is cold, then so be it.
wellington said:
yagyujubei said:

Good explanation and I would agree with yagyujubei that caution should be taken with such a young tortoise in those types of temperatures. Also keep in mind that 100 degree ambient outside, is a lot different than a 100 degree basking spot in an indoor enclosure.

wellington said:
...and ignore the ones that don't agree with Tom's way. If it works, why change it, and it works.:D

I'm not trying to instigate anything here, but I feel to not respond to this statement would be a disservice to the community. There are many ways to raise health and smooth tortoises, not just Tom's way. That is nothing against Tom at all, he is a friend and I have a lot of respect for him. His methods work for him and several others very well...But, they are not always the best methods for everyone in the world and in every type of environment. That would be impossible for anyone to create a be all end all method of caring for tortoises that would apply to everyone...to tell someone to ignore others opinions and only stick to one way (regardless of who it is)...well, I just think that is wrong. We talk so much about how wrong the old ways are...and I think the type of approach you are suggesting is the same type of groupthink mentality that encouraged bad husbandry practices for so long.

Again, not trying to instigate anything here, and maybe you didn't mean your statement the way I interpreted it. I am certainly not trying to discredit anyone, but I take exception to your statement since I do not follow Tom's way and keep healthy smooth tortoises.

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
I have read here several times (some of the more well known threads included) that it is best to limit the outdoor sunning to only a hour or so to start until your little guy/gal is used to the conditions and is a little bigger. increase the time spent gradually when you feel comfortable with it. I try to get mine outside at first light, i have noticed that is when i see them laying in the sun most. the ambient temps are only 80-90 here at that time, but their shells will feel very warm to the touch when they are laying out in that morning sun. lastly a good soak after a hour or more of outside can't hurt :)

Status
Not open for further replies.